MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

GM 5.3 max motor ? Maybe the V6?

Coyotes-R-Us

Anyone with GOOD information on this ?
It goes from V8 to V4 under very light loads .
Rated at 23 MPH in a full sized Silverado
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management

How about there v6 twin turbo with out this system?
Any good in a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck.
I have the boat that I do pull about 5 times a year and an airboat I will pull more often .
In the winter I pull a 2 place trailer for 4wheelers and or snowmobiles. I had a 94 Sububern for 19 and 300,000 miles with a plane Jane 350 that worked perfect BUT a deer eat it this spring. I think I want a 4 door truck this time.
PS
I'm talking used here around 2006 to 2013 ish

There was some problems with the early ones, If I recall my Buddy who still works in the GM garage said it was the 2007-2010 era. Cam and lifter problems because of this system. I was going to buy a super clean 08 Silverado with only 48k miles and he advised me to steer clear. Ended up with a 2010 Tundra with 130K instead for around the same price.

You won't find one with a V6 that's gonna do you any good. I've got a 07 Avalanche 4x4 with the 5.3 V8 and 4 speed auto and get about 18.6 mpg on the highway. I expect it would be a little better if you got a newer one with a 6 speed tranny but if you use the tow/haul button it basically moves your shift points up and keeps you from catching OD. That being said, I've never pulled anything with mine that I felt I was underpowered for including my dad's 21ft flatbed.

GM never made a twin turbo like ford has done with the ecoboost. The 5.3 is a solid motor other than the 07,08, and possibly 09 (could be wrong on the 09). Avoid those years and you'll be fine. I could be wrong but i don't think that they had cylinder deactivation until 2014 with the new generation, but they still got pretty good gas mileage compared to other trucks. I had a 2005 that my grandpa gave me, i drove it till 169,000 miles. With pretty meticulous maintenance only problems were water pump at 100, and transfer case at 120. So if you find one that has been taken care of it will serve you well for a long time. I will say if you can find a tundra/titan in your price range go with one of those if you are okay with the mpg penalty. But if not gm is my preference for american.

GM never made a twin turbo like ford has done with the ecoboost. The 5.3 is a solid motor other than the 07,08, and possibly 09 (could be wrong on the 09). Avoid those years and you'll be fine. I could be wrong but i don't think that they had cylinder deactivation until 2014 with the new generation, but they still got pretty good gas mileage compared to other trucks. I had a 2005 that my grandpa gave me, i drove it till 169,000 miles. With pretty meticulous maintenance only problems were water pump at 100, and transfer case at 120. So if you find one that has been taken care of it will serve you well for a long time. I will say if you can find a tundra/titan in your price range go with one of those if you are okay with the mpg penalty. But if not gm is my preference for american.

I have an 04 with 180,000 on it. Burns a little oil and has some piston slap those years are known for but overall nothing wrong with it...other than some rust on the rockers. I also have a 2012 and it does have cylinder deactivation. To be honest, it doesn't kick in very often

The active fuel management (cylinder deactivation or more specifically fuel injector deactivation) came on my 07. It works best at highway speeds on relatively flat highways.

I have an 03 silverado with the 4.8 V8 and has been great (212,000+ miles). Father-in-law just rolled 260,000 miles with his 4.8. Not sure when GM discontinued that engine.

If I were buying new I would really look at the F150 3.5 ecoboost. I probably would stay away for the first couple years that used the twin turbos. I'm aware of some of the issues you discussed with the gm 5.3. the 5.3 has been the v8 workhorse for GM for a long time. GM may do alot of things wrong but they do know how to build some really good V8 engines.

101_2794.jpg

101_2797.jpg

101_2796.png

101_2799.png

Well !!! I got a ford.
A VERY RED FORD !
6 1/2 foot bed 4 full doors and a 5.0 V8.
It's a 2013 and only 43000 miles.
I have not had it out with the boat yet but I quite sure it will preform very well...

Back