Montana Land Question.

PlusFive

So, while e-scouting I found some promising lower elevation river bottom and surrounding flat that might prove to be a great white tail spot come November. However, Onx maps lists it as University of Montana land. Is that the huntable to the public? There are some buildings on the land and even some ag. so it looks private, but is listed as public. Any thoughts? By the way OnX has it colored as public or state land.

I'm not for certain, but if it's listed as owned by the university and rather than simply being "state" land, I would lean towards considering that private.

I was thinking something similar. However, the university is state owned and a public institution. Also they allow school hunting on school trust land, I didnt know if this is the same.

I recommend you call both the Montana FWP and the Montana Department of Natural Resources (DNRC) and ask them the question.

I would be curious what you find out as an answer to your question.

In addition to MTFWP, you will want to call the U of M exentsion that is closest to that piece of land. If you PM, I may know the answer already. I only know of one piece that they allow hunting on, the rest research projects usually preclude activity on it. It should be treated as private land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back