Caribou Gear Tarp

Kimber rifle opinions

Dakota79

I have no experience with Kimber rifles and I was just wanting to hear from some of you who have. In front of the right shooter can they be a legitimate 500 yard rifle shooting moa? I'm looking at a Kimber Hunter 6.5 Creed. Please tell me what you think.

I just got a hunter recently in 7mm-08. I'm only box and a half into it with factory ammunition, but it shoots well. Anxious to experiment with some handloads.

Center load was at 50, bottom was first at 100, top has a flyer after cleaning.

20170718_120817.jpg

Last edited:
I provide homes for unloved Kimbers, just drop it in the mail.

Both of mine shoot great.

For the OPs information. If I rifle shoots MOA at 100yds and doesn't hold it at 500. As long as you started with the right twist rate for your bullet, it is almost certainly the ammo.

I've had good luck with my Montana. I have no idea what its capable of at 500 yards, as I don't practice or take shots at that distance.

Considering the two are the same barreled action, just different stocks/magazines you probably shouldn't get your hope up.

I've been down the Kimber Montana road; they're for suckers or gamblers. 1 1/2" gun that will feed if you got a good one, for $1,100. The ones that shoot better are usually prefaced with "when I do my part" which is dbl speak for "3 of the 5 were in there".

Last edited:
I like the Montana I have. It's all I've hunted with for the last 5-6 years, and has killed a lot if critters near and far. Shoots just fine for me and better than some of the others I have in the safe and a little worse than some. For a hunting rife it's more than adequate, IMO. I'm not punching paper with it, nor do I shoot much past 350 yards. It's amazing how some people get completely wrapped around the axel over a group size from a bench rest for a hunting rifle.

I'll pick up more in the future, but just don't need anyore rifles at this time.

I just got a hunter recently in 7mm-08. I'm only box and a half into it with factory ammunition, but it shoots well. Anxious to experiment with some handloads.

Center load was at 50, bottom was first at 100, top has a flyer after cleaning.

View attachment 72780

I sure hope when my 7-08 Mountain Ascent shows up through BCA that it shoots better than that.

I keep buying them. From my 325 on down to the 243, they will all produce sub moa groups. No complaints here.

No complaints about the 2 montanas I have. They are easily both under a MOA and closer to 1/2 MOA rifles.

I've been down the Kimber Montana road; they're for suckers or gamblers. 1 1/2" gun that will feed if you got a good one, for $1,100. The ones that shoot better are usually prefaced with "when I do my part" which is dbl speak for "3 of the 5 were in there".
I'd have no trouble hunting a sub 6# rifle that shot 1.5" groups. I'm also of the opinion that one could probably rebarrel a Kimber and be money ahead for a comparable semi-custom. I had a 300WSM Montana that I intended on doing that with, but it ended getting sold to help fund two trips to ID in one fall. Didn't think I'd draw both of those tags in the same year...

I've had three, 2 rifles and a .45 Custom Shop 1911 pistol. The pistol had feeding issues that Kimber addressed quickly and correctly. Both rifles are fine tools but one went down the road in trade for a custom I wanted more. I still have the Classic 300 win mag that shot sub moa before I bedded and since. The featherweighted Montana I traded did the same out of the box when I could keep it still....both fed smoothly every time and have great triggers.

Every rifle I've had shoots handrolled better than factory.

Back