packable down jackets options?

adubs

I'll be going on a 3rd season deer hunt in Colorado this year and I want to invest in a good lightweight down or synthetic jacket for glassing. I'm looking at the Sitka kelvin line, kuiu down jackets, and firstlite along with regular brands like REI, Patagonia etc. Hoping some of you have used these already and/or have some feedback on the pros and cons of each. Ive read that kuiu doesn't seem to be very durable at all and is a little light on insulation. I don't plan on wearing it as an outer shell though and will most likely have it under my chugach rain coat or guide coat. Just need that extra layer of insulation to stay warm but need it to be light and pack small.

thanks,

adubs

Check out Mont Bell and this jacket. I have one very similar, and it packs down to about half the size of a liter Nalgene bottle, and is very warm for the weight/size. Price is on par with others, and Mont Bell makes a solid product. Err on the larger size if you go this route.

Check out steep and cheap or backcountry for the big name backpacking brands. I would look at My Trail as well. Used to be Golite and I have been really happy with the sleeping bag I bought from them

I was looking at KUIU down but went with their Teton Synthetic fill jacket and Kenai pants which were actually lighter. My boss loves their down stuff, but if I could get the synthetic for less and it does the same then I have more $$ in my pocket.

I have the KUIU superdown non hooded. There down jackets fold into either hand side pocket!

The Kifaru Lost Park Parka is incredible. It packs great, probably not as tiny or lightweight as others mentioned here, but plenty fine for backpacking. In my opinion, while others listed in the thread are great too, I find it hard to beat the Kifaru because it has elbow/front Cordura patches which make it bomb proof. You can literally wear this thing for anything and everything. The hood is removable. Ive put it through hellacious abuse and its still perfect. I use it as my go to for everything (which saves me having to take multiple other layers etc). Heres the link: https://store.kifaru.net/lost-park-parka-p187.aspx Not trying to talk you off of what others have said but this jacket has been phenomenal for me and others who I know use it swear by it too.

I can't use a puffy unless I am simply sitting and glassing for while so camo patterns are not that important to me. With that said, I use the Eddie Bauer down coat, which if you keep an eye out can get for a dang good deal, and it is everything I could want from a puffy.

I have used a Patagonia Nanopuff for a long time, but have really been wanting a hooded puffy. I just found a Arcteryx Atom in the REI outlet for over 50% off, and I snapped that badboy up. I am really looking forward to having that hood this fall/winter.

I have an older OR down jacket, not sure of the model, but it sure has been great. I also have a marmot primaloft jacket that weighs basically nothing and is great for layering.

I bought a First Lite Uncompaghre jacket a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it, one of the more satisfying 'buy once - cry once' purchases I've made.

Same here. The First Lite jacket is warm, lightweight and packable. I really like that it's synthetic and I don't have to worry about getting it wet like with down.

There are a million options out there. A few I've had are the Montbell UL down inner hoody, Montbell Alpine light hoody, Brooks Range mojave, Integral Designs Dolomitti, some Westcomb synthetic thing they don't make anymore, Outdoor Research Megaplume, Rab xenon, Rab neutrino endurance, Mammut synthetic something big puffy, Brooks Range alpini, probably a few more I'm forgetting. Just buy a decent maker with the features of interest on sale and you'll be good to go.

For late fall use, I like at least 120g/m2 in a synthetic puffy, and at least 5 ounces of 800+ down load in a down puffy. If it's cold enough to need it, it's usually not hard to keep down dry. There are exceptions of course.

I can't use a puffy unless I am simply sitting and glassing for while so camo patterns are not that important to me. With that said, I use the Eddie Bauer down coat, which if you keep an eye out can get for a dang good deal, and it is everything I could want from a puffy.

I agree completely. I bought a Cabelas puffy last year. It's olive drab and warm and cost $30. It would have to be very cold to hike/hunt in a puffy.

Man I love my puffy jackets. I mostly use the lightest ones made due to them being so darn warm. It doubles as a pillow when I get a nap in or I'll sleep in it to make a frigid night bearable. I'm a cheap wad so I usually pick one up at Costco every year. The downside of puffy coats is they can and will eventually get snagged and leak some feathers. For this reason I don't bother spending tons of money on them for a name brand.
On a side note I do have the huge Sitka down coat and man that thing is awesome for sitting and glassing, riding the horse or wheeler or sleeping in as well. If you start moving though you'll sweat to death.

Heck yeah! Got my quilted puffy at Costco today for $19.99.

Now an official member of the Kirkland Super Sportacular Adventure Ambassadors (KSSAA) !!!

Last edited:
I've had a Costco one for 5 years now...best $20 bucks I've spent in awhile! Olive drab in color...works great and I don't care if it gets trashed

I have the KUIU super down hooded jacket. No complaints. I bought it during their fall sale so at 30% off its a good deal.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back