Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mule Deer Scoring/Pictures

Ryan2782

I'm trying to learn different sizes of mule deer. I'm not particularly interested for myself of what the exact score is before shooting, but recognizing general sizes. I drew a November buck hunt in Idaho, I will shoot a deer I'm proud of more than size, based off of characteristics too. I would also like to make sure I do understand different sizes while glassing. It would be nice to recognize a 160" vs 170" vs 180" etc. etc. Any interested in posting a picture of their buck(s) with the score, typical or non?

Oh no. Deja vu.

Just kidding, I have nothing to contribute just in response to a recently closed thread but wish the best of luck to ya this fall!

I did see that other post, which did help me have an understanding that I need to be able to recognize different ranges plus or minus and that gave me the idea that this would hopefully be the easiest way to learn and understand visually what I would be looking at and hopefully others as well.

The problem with posting a picture with a score is that there is always someone who says no way does that buck/bull score that many inches and that's why many won't do it. I've seen it happen time after time on several sites because pictures many times are deceiving as to what class an animal fits in, especially if it's in the velvet.

Last edited:
That's a good point I didn't think of. A lot of doubters and more opinions of what is or isn't true. If anyone is still interested in posting I would appreciate it, and if people would not comment on their pictures, posts, measurements that would be great. I am just trying to recognize different sizes, not an exact science to measuring.

IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0002.JPG

Probably get a bunch of crap that was mentioned above but oh well... these were 2 bucks I took in back to back seasons. Both are trophys in my book. I also rough scored them for my personal knowledge and to my surprise they were dang near identical. One is narrower but a lot heavier, while the other is a bit wider and has a kicker, that I included in my score. Anyways, both have good forks all the way around in both sides, as will as eye guards. the things that I look for are fork depth, width, and whether it has eye guards. Mass is great, but probably won't be there in a ton of bucks. For what it's worth, the measurement I came up with for these was about 165. If sure if B&C measured them it'd change but I think these bucks can give you a rough estimate. You'll definitely know a 180 if you see one. Hopefully this helps!

Nice bucks MThunter! That thick one on top is sure pretty. I hail from Wisconsin, and have a severe addiction to mule deer bucks

Thanks for the links on scoring. I've read them and will keep re-reading the how too's. I've look at pictures and just haven't been able understand/estimate the correct lengths, I'm worried about field judging.

Great pictures and thank you for sharing. Beautiful bucks, like I mentioned in an earlier post, I think this is great info for me to learn and visually see to get a range on a deer's size. I have a special draw tag, and granted every body wants the biggest buck, and who wouldn't. I just want to be able to make sure I hunt hard and find a mature one that I myself can be proud of. If/when I get my buck I will measure it the best I can just to know and understand measuring system for future deer. I look forward to posting my deer here to share!

Great deer! I grew up hunting chasing does and being told to wander around until I found one. It always worked to the fill the freezer. I've only shot one buck that was a two point. Changing strategies into patience and glassing is going to be difficult to change my mind set vs covering as much ground as possible. I'm looking forward to it. I put boots on the ground last weekend for one day to get an over view of terrain vs google maps and glassing areas too. Thanks again for sharing!

20170726_174938.jpg

Buck my father killed in about 1976 I believe. I think he's in the 175" range. Old but a reference for you none the less. If his left fork matched the right he'd be all over 180"

You got me thinking so I pulled him down to clean him and tape him out. Best I can measure is a 185 gross. He's bigger than I thought. I would be ecstatic to kill a buck this big this day and time.

1501108030694107463037.jpg

My 6 year old for reference haha

View attachment 72809

This buck scored around 147 due to the crabbed fork in the back, would have been 169 had the back forks been more symmetrical. Crabby forks drive the score down greatly. Just a note, he was only 24" wide, but was I think 22-23" tall, so symmetry helps!

Nice buck! I would have guessed him bigger than 147. Is that net or gross?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back