Where ???

DLBrown

Good morning everyone.
I live in the Midwest and have 2 job offers. One in north west NM an one in sw Utah. Any input on which one has the best hunting . I really want to try elk hunting but them Mule deer look like fun .

If you got a chance to hunt deer or elk in SW Utah, I would take it. Some amazing bucks and great bulls out that way. Just my two cents though. Never spent any time in NM.

I think it would depend on whether you want to also hunt out of state. The biggest issue with living in Utah is that for elk, deer and pronghorn, you can only apply for ONE of those species for a controlled tag every year. And also once you draw, you have a 5 year waiting period before you can start applying again. But Utah has general tags for deer and it's one of the best places to live if you're a mule deer hunter. So you could apply/build points for elk while hunting general deer yearly or every other year. Great bull elk in Utah but they take a long time to draw those top tags. SW Utah is pretty far from any other states that you can get tags easily in. Depends on if you want to take vacation and/or drive a ways.

New Mexico you don't have those restrictions, but it's also a state with no points so you're never guaranteed tags. New Mexico has some stud bulls, though. But northwest New Mexico puts you real close to Colorado where you can pick up OTC elk tags every year, and also get decent deer tags relatively often. You could do those pretty regularly and still be close enough to weekend hunt it.

Personally I would choose northwest New Mexico, but either are good choices.

Never been to Utah, but I have hunted New Mexico and it is tops on my list of places I'd like to live. There are a lot of elk in that part of the state as well. Plus as was mentioned, you could hunt OTC in Colorado very easily from there.

UT is ground zero of public land transfer efforts. An organization called SWF gets hundreds of public tags to issue in raffles, so those are not available for UT residents to draw. If you are LDS, you will have an easier time in UT than if not.

If I could only hunt elk within 50 miles either side of the CO-NM border for the rest of my life, I'd be good w that.

New Mexico also gives you decent draw odds to draw archery pronghorn, if you're interested in that. New Mexico has some big pronghorn even on those archery tags that aren't that difficult to draw as a resident.

I would choose NM purely on hunting because you have access to deer, elk, bear, javelina, and antelope plus you can chase aoudad in the off season. Obviously there are lots of other factors to consider in a move, and where in the state you are going to be plays a huge factor as well.

I think hunting is the last factor. Where the jobs are in relation to where you live, scenery, whats their to do, and me being from Illinois....taxes. Whats the job offer? I may have to send my application. Assessor says my property is 340, appraiser last October said 260. 340 would put my taxes at 11,500 ish. I paid 176 in 2012.

Hey guys, don't want to be that guy to post unrelated issues, but I'm new as of thursday to hunttalk and don't know how to create new threads, my account has been activated, any help?

Esracerx I am also from illinois . And it sucks . Very limited public land high taxes and going up and a increase in income tax . I an thinking NM. Utah no so much. Look at the Indeed app.

Any state other than NY... my taxes are 12500 a year. Have been to both and is go new Mexico for all the same reasons previously said

NM would better situate you for elk hunting. Just plan on hunting Colorado when you don't draw NM.

I think I'd pause a bit and think beyond hunting seasons, rather than seriously choosing between these two options based on their big game seasons. I'd be thinking of the differences in the economy's, the weather, the shopping availabilities, and other day to day situations. It's good to look forward to your hunting opportunities, however the rest of the year, you're stuck in the center of the reality you created. I'd have a look at specifically where you'd be living and consider whether you really like it there? N.W. New Mexico can be hotter than H*** in the Summer, arid, and a lot of the Elk hunting might be on the Indian reservations. Even then, it's not the Elk habitat the real mountainous States have. Utah might be prettier, better amenities, but harsher Winters. Then, you're moving into a largely Mormon culture as well. For some, that's no big deal. For others they may not like that....?

I have lived in both NM and Utah. I would take NM over Utah. The hunting is not any better or worse in either of the two, just different. NM just seemed less crowded to me, little bit slower and more laid back. Plus i LOVE red and green Chili. I know you said you would be in SW Utah, but I just cannot get over how much of a giant cluster SLC valley is.

Really you should visit both and see what fits you better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back