Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Nosler Accubonds Long Range

I have had a lot of success (at the range and in the field) with accubonds. What is the big difference between and Accubond and and ABLR? Sorry, I'm being lazy and not looking it up myself, but I like the input of the folks on this site

Arch,
It’s a bonded bullet with a different ogive for higher BC, and a thinner forward jacket than the normal accubonds so that they expand/deform easier at lower velocities. Works great for long range (lower velocity) impacts, but appear to have the tendency to expand too much at regular (<300yd) impact distances.

Interesting side note, I've noticed that the Winchester branded load shoots better in my particular gun. Longer COAL on the Winchesters for less jump to the lands compared to the Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range. I will be using the Winchesters as my guide for my COAL now that I have my reloading station almost complete.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the ABLR is not a "fragment" bullet. mtmuley

You are correct they are a rapidly expanding bullet according to Nosler. In real world terms they fragment and blow up at close high speeds. A deer shot at close distance had a exit hole big enough to put a mini football in...sideways. When I saw the damage I told my hunting partner that it looked like I shot it with a grenade.

And 46 till now. I think I’ve articulated well enough what they do and why. I am glad they worked for you however, for me they did not work for my use. They fly great but that’s not good enough when I had to throw that much meat away. Finding small fragments thruout the meat far away from the exit wound is not acceptable when you primarily hunt for meat. That’s why I bought a reloading set up and ordered the regular 140g Accubonds.

Addicting, why did you use a bullet that is specifically made for long range shots on game, then complain about the bullets performance when you did not use it in it's intended application? Not trying to single you out, but this type of complaint is all too common. mtmuley

Simply, because it was the most accurate factory round I found for my rifle. Unfortunately, Nosler does not make the 140g Accubond in my caliber. The small custom loading shops do but I was getting inconsistent results.

I don’t consider this complaining. This thread is here to show what this bullet does. I have said several time that after seeing the results on game that it was not the bullet for me or my intended use. I hope others that test it and find it to shoot great will know what to expect on game. I wish I would of known how they performed before I bought a case and ordered CDS dials. So hopefully other learn from my mistake and use it for its intended range.

Fair enough. I learned a lesson with a popular bullet (not popular at the time) about 10 or 11 years ago myself. I will tell you, the regular Accubond has proven to be the very best bullet I have ever used in several different cartridges, at any range. mtmuley

Everyone's results/opinions will vary, but my preference is for the original AccuBond. I 'feel' better about the original's performance and despite the better BCs of the ABLRs, I've had better luck reloading/accuracy with the original AccuBond. I hand load for my rifles so I can't attest to factory choices, but I foresee whited-tipped bullets in my future.

just to add my experience into the discussion. Shot a mule deer this year, twice, slightly quartering to, at 397 yards. 300 WSM 190 gr. ABLR. First shot was through the lungs and it punched a clean, small hole. second shot was on the point of the shoulder and did quite a bit of damage.

I've used this bullet for the past two years and have had good results. I came from the 210 gr. berger.

Attachments

• 20171118_080511 (2).jpg
    20171118_080511 (2).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 487
Thanks for the info on the ABLR

Did you guys know you can buy Nosler seconds from their online store? The 2nds only have visual issues (the bullet color is a little off, ect). They fly great and they are the only bullets a lot of good shooters here in Central OR use. Saves lots of $$$

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back