Nosler Accubonds Long Range

My .02... the ablr... advertised bc is not quite accurate according my calculator and actual field results..
despite nosler's claims using standard coal and 3 types of powder, have yet to get them to shoot as good as a well tuned vld.. but I took the bait..

BC is just a number. I don't care if Bryan Litz calls me on the phone and gives it to me, I'm shooting to verify. The bullets work. I used them one year. There has been some reviews of some loading issues. I worked on them till I got it. mtmuley

I have read some high meat damage ones as well in early reviews on the Nosler 129g ABLR, not to many recent. I haven't seen really seen any reviews on the Winchester's 142g good or bad.

JLS, Mtmuley
I saw those groups you shot and looked up the Hammers. I just don't know enough about them or reloading to do it. I am however getting quite the pile of brass to start learning. 1_pointer is pretty close to me and offered to help. I see that RCBS has a military discount so maybe this winter if I'm good. All the used Craigslist ones I've been seeing are rotating shotgun setups and cost more than the discount new single stage.

I really was hoping to use the ABLR's in my guns but just never found a load that shot well. Probably my fault. I like the thought of a bonded bullet. So far I've killed quite a few with Bergers and the Barnes as well.
Another thought because I think they are bonded as well is the new Hornady ELD-X. My wifes 6.5 shoots the factory loads in this very well and I feel like it's a well built bullet like the Accubonds. Just throwing that out there.

image.jpg

That bullet went through a sturdy whitetail for about three feet at roughly 200 yards. Seems to have held together well considering the speed and amount of bone and muscle encountered. Sample of one but it performed as well as many standard accubonds that I've seen. Hopefully sample two will come via a bear in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Addicting- If your main use is deer, I'd have no trouble using the 140gr Ballistic Tip out of the Creedmoor. It's far from a speed demon. The Hornady factory ammo with the ELD-X gets rave reviews for accuracy and I've not read any dismal results on game. FWIW...

PS- If you have a decently stout shop vice, I can bring my whole loading set up to show you how I do it this winter!

I shot an elk with a 150gr NABLR, from my 7mm-08 a couple of years ago. Bullet recovered under skin on far side. 65% retention on a 200 yard shot. I was very happy with its performance, but I would likely pick a different bullet for big critters, from a really fast cartridge, if I thought close shots were likely.

I've shot the ELD-X 143g and they shot ok. I was flopping back and forth on the other thread on the different rounds and you guys all told me to pick one. Lol So I did, I wanted to support a site sponsor if I could and the Accubonds have a solid reputation. Just didn't know what that 1.24 difference was on the ABLR offerings.

There is a Estate Sale tomorrow with a RBCS reloading press and dies up for grabs. Gonna go see if it is a good deal.

Well no luck on the press, it sold right away. Back to looking, those test rounds will be here Tuesday so I hope to have some groups up that evening.

I spent some time putting rounds down the tube. The first two targets are the Winchesters 142g ABLR. In order fire from the lead sled then the last is an 8 shot hot barrel sustained fire. IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0323.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

Then I cleaned it and ran 3 foul shots thru it of Fusions. Next is the Nosler Trophy ABLR 129g in order the first 2 are from the lead sled with a windage adjustment. The last is a 5 shot hot barrel sustained from the bench. IMG_0322.jpgIMG_0326.jpgIMG_0325.jpg

The Winchester out performed in my rifle two ways. They shot a tighter group both hot and cold. The other thing I noticed is that the Nickle plated cases loaded much nicer and were very smooth loading into the chamber. The Nosler had a hard time comming up the ramp and felt resistance comming up the bolt face. All in all that extra money for the Nosler Ammo did not pan out in my rifle. So far to date the Winchester is the best shooting factory ammo I have tested.

Rock on with the Winchester stuff. Hunting season is coming. Time to commit. mtmuley

Rock on with the Winchester stuff. Hunting season is coming. Time to commit. mtmuley

I ordered 10 boxes, worked out to 1.44 a round. Now time to call Leupold and get the CDS dial on its way. Next time I decide on buying a rifle, I think I'm sending you a PM first. I think if I would have, I could of saved some money and had just as good of a shooter.

Last edited:
In my opinion the ABLR are garbage. They explode and do NOT penetrate. I have used them in my 28 nosler and in my 280AI and have had the same problems on mule deer, antelope and coyotes. I don't dare use them on an elk for fear all I will get is a lot of fur. I have had this problem with the ABLR ammo at under 100 yards and out to 450 yards. I wouldn't waste your money on the ABLR factory ammo. I actually generally really like nosler ammunition but they have done something wrong with this stuff and I just don't trust it. Its truly a bummer because I have several boxes of 28 nosler and 280AI which I need to use up but I don't believe I can trust it. And at $3-4/round its mighty expensive target ammo. If anyone would like to see some photos I would be happy to send them.

In my opinion the ABLR are garbage. They explode and do NOT penetrate. I have used them in my 28 nosler and in my 280AI and have had the same problems on mule deer, antelope and coyotes. I don't dare use them on an elk for fear all I will get is a lot of fur. I have had this problem with the ABLR ammo at under 100 yards and out to 450 yards. I wouldn't waste your money on the ABLR factory ammo. I actually generally really like nosler ammunition but they have done something wrong with this stuff and I just don't trust it. Its truly a bummer because I have several boxes of 28 nosler and 280AI which I need to use up but I don't believe I can trust it. And at $3-4/round its mighty expensive target ammo. If anyone would like to see some photos I would be happy to send them.

Well, I've been shooting this for about a month and really like how it shoots. I ordered my CDS dials and had a good talk with Leupold on the ballistics chart. With the High BC this is very forgiving out to around 500 yards with very little deviation in the charts when ran with different temps and elevation.

The problem is just like the last post its performance on animals is explosive. I've shot two groundhogs with it and they both had significant tissue damage. One was shot thru the neck and it left a 4-5 inch hole on the opposite side. The other one I shot head on there was no exit wound. I opened it up and looked for the bullet. The bullet traveled up into the spine then down towards the hip. There were fragments everywhere but no piece big enough to call it the bullet. As you can imagine it was a mess inside. I am going to have to go back to the drawing board for a Elk and deer bullet. There is no way with this performance on game that I would dare use it on something I wanted to eat. Buyer beware what you are buying is a varmit/target round marketed as big game.

I have used the 168 gr LRAB in my 7mm and have taken three elk and one coues deer with them all with one shot. The shots were not long range with the elk being under 300 yards and the deer just over 350. All were lung shots with the bullet being found under the skin on the elk and a pass through on the deer. The bullet did fragment some but no worse then a Hornady SST and I have seen more meat damage with bergers then the LRAB. I dont trust the BC valve that Nosler claims they have but I do trust them to perform on game including elk. If you are happy with your load then I wouldn't change it up, I will have them in my rifle for CO elk.

You should cut off the man bun then ask your question. We might take your more serious...

As to Accubond at long range: decidedly lethal. Shots at 350yds required no followup. I won't use anything else.

Well, that's if you place your bullet right! Same thing can be said for any other bullet also. What is a man bun?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back