New guy in Wyoming with leftover tags

NickinAZ

Hey everyone, my first try at hunting in Wyoming and I was fortunate enough to have drawn a leftover tag in unit 29. When I checked my draw success I found I had a 29-2, 29-7, 29-7. I looked up the map for unit 29 and it states 29-2 is "Any Antelope Valid of Private Land" and 29-7 is "Doe or fawn valid south and west of Interstate Highway 25" Can anyone point me in the direction on where to begin contacting private land owners in this area? Not looking for the an easy answer and I am willing to put in the work. Just need a starting point. As for the reduced hunt area, I am good with that. And with the long hunt period for those tags I should be able to make the most of them. Thanks in advance and I look forward to visiting the great state of Wyoming.

Last edited:
The information offered by Wytex is about all you can do since you drew those type of tags limiting your hunt area. The Niobrara County map with all the landowner names that Wytex posted will probably be real handy. Good luck!

Last edited:
It's a weird concept. Who with experience in calling up landowners can speak to what to expect? I imagine you'd get lots of irritated landowners and hang ups. That fear has kept me from trying-- I hate getting calls from those I don't know so I try not to do the same to others

I would also give a call to the local C.O. If they have been covering the area for at least one season, they likely already know all of the landowners who are interested in giving permission and which are locked up.

You need to call Rod Lebert, the Douglas game warden for your 29-7 tags. When there are private land only doe tags its because a landowner wanted them. He can let you know who that was. You can also ask him about the 29-2 tags as well.

In addition you should call Brady Vandeberg, the game warden who covers all of Niobrara county for the 29-2.

The biologist for the area is Willow Steen and you should also contact her about both tags.

Here is the warden contact info: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Law-Enforcement/Field-Personnel-Contact-Info/Warden-contact-info

Here is the biologist contact info: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Law-Enforcement/Field-Personnel-Contact-Info/biologist-contact-info

My experience knocking on doors, which is limited, has been surprisingly pleasant. I too worried about irritating ranchers and how to approach the situation but once I started the process the fear quickly went away. People are all types and ranchers are the same. Some will be nice others grumpy but you'll probably find some land

Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate the assistance. I have some homework to do. I have to say, two of the things that have really attracted me to hunting have been the challenge of working up a hunt in a new area and the support from communities such as this one. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

OK! Just wanted to get back with everyone, I was able to fill two of my leftover tags in 29 and two of my draw tags in 103! Between the weather and my work schedule I had to leave two tags unfilled. I am very grateful for the opportunity to hunt in Wyoming and for all the support from everyone here on Hunt Talk. The trip was awesome and I can't wait to do it again! Thank you to everyone who offered help.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back