Colorado Pref point question: Fishing license & Habitat Stamp

cbellosu

Sorry for posting in the elk section, but didn't know exactly where to post this question.

I will be buying a non-resident season CO fishing in a couple of weeks for a hiking/fly fishing/ elk scouting trip in a couple of weeks with my fiance. I have done some browsing and if I buy a season fishing license I would not be required to pay the preference point fee when applying for pref points in March 2018? I called the Colorado hunt planner phone line, and he confirmed that I could apply for antelope, mule deer, bear, and elk without paying ANY preference point fees. This almost sounds too good to be true...... do these apply to the big 3 also: moose,sheep, and goat PP as well?

Also, if I purchase a fishing license with habitat stamp do I need an additional habitat stamp with the pref point application? I'm considering just buying a lifetime habitat stamp for many reasons; my fiance and I are strongly considering a move within the next 2 years to Colorado.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
If you hold a license, any license, the year prior, you won't get hit with preference point fees the following year.

You only need one habitat stamp per year.

Smallones is right. Any license the year prior and they waive the preference point fee. If you don't have a license from the previous year then it's $40 per species I do believe. Which if you apply for a lot of species can get very expensive

There is still the application fee, so its not free, but its a lot cheaper.

That is how I read it too. Although I think sheep and goat are different since the application fee is only $3 + habitat stamp.

I believe they do this to boost the # of licenses sold per year which helps with the USFWS Pittman-Robertson annual funding allotment per state (this is a function of licenses sold in each individual state).
So even if they lose some money from PP fees it is still probably a net gain with funding from the Feds. Interesting stuff & I'm in full support of Pittman-Robertson

So If I buy a fishing license right now I still have to pay the 40$ per animal because it doesn't say 2017 on it correct?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back