PEAX Equipment

CA Dove

Justabuck

Hey Guys,

I was taking a peak at the regulations for this upcoming dove season and it appears to me that as long as I'm hunting on private land I can still use lead loads. I was just wondering if anyone more educated than me on the topic can confirm this.

Hope this helps. Private land is still OK for lead. 7/1/19 will be no lead anywhere. Where are you going to go come 8/1?

From the CA DFG(or W I guess it is now):

"All hunters must abide by California’s nonlead requirements. Currently, nonlead ammunition is required for hunting doves on any CDFW-managed property, but is not required to hunt doves on private property or public lands not managed by CDFW. Starting on July 1, 2019, nonlead ammunition will be required to take all wildlife anywhere in California."

Here is some more good info from the department. This year there are some special Dove hunts.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2017/07/24/special-dove-hunt-opportunities-available-for-2017-season/
dove2.jpg

Thanks !
My buddy has a farm out in the valley, lot of Mullen and safflower at the back of the farm. Besides the cost I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of lethality I've been experiencing with steel dove loads so I'm dreading 2019.

Hello,

I am the Nonlead Ammunition Outreach Coordinator for California. You may still use lead shot for quail, dove and snipe until July 1, 2019 unless on CADFW managed lands. If you are hunting on a licensed game bird club you can use lead shot for all game birds.

If hunting with a shotgun for resident small game mammals, furbearing mammals, nongame mammals, nongame birds, and any wildlife for depredation purposes you need to use nonlead ammunition since 2016.

The difference between a case of lead dove loads and steel doves loads is $5...http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winc...tegoryId=734095080&CQ_search=winchester+steel

I've have using steel for dove awhile and have not noticed a difference in lethality. Texas Fish and Wildlife did a study showing that there was no difference between hunters using lead vs steel...https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20141202a

If you have any questions regarding switching to nonlead with any firearm feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Take care and happy hunting.

Thanks Non-lead Hunter,

As far as lethality I only have my own experiences to go off of , I will admit it may have simply been the quality of product I was using as I also found the pattern to be subpar, if you don't mind me asking which brand do you prefer?

I hate to be that guy, but I am going to be. Normally the reason people see difference in lethality is because they don't shoot that well. Lead is not perfectly round and therefore leads to fliers. This helps people "shoot better".

Also, when switching to steel you need to open up your choke and shoot at least a size larger shot.

I don't wish to entertain a discussion about shooting ability but as far as my choke I switched down to a cylinder and was still experiencing much tighter patterns versus when I shoot lead with a modified. Last season I center punched a quail and still found myself in a foot race. Those were some serious budget shells though and again I only have my own experiences to go off of. I kept the shot size the same though so ill try switching to a larger shot size, thanks ice.

I like 6 shot for steel dove/quail. The wildlife management areas here require non toxic shot within their boundaries.

Thanks !
My buddy has a farm out in the valley, lot of Mullen and safflower at the back of the farm. Besides the cost I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of lethality I've been experiencing with steel dove loads so I'm dreading 2019.

What valley? Want some company ;-)

Back