Caribou Gear

Backpack rifle weight

Internetspeak has guys convinced that they can't hunt a rifle over 7 pounds. mtmuley

What weight rifles are you guys carrying into the woods. My Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag is weighing in at 9 lbs scoped

Lightened up M7 in 7mm saum. Right on 7lbs with a 2.5-8x36 VX3, sling and full belly. I have no problems shooting it real tight.

521 yds.

IMG_0004-2.jpg

I tend to shoot, well, robust cartridges. 8 pounds isn't heavy, except on the web. mtmuley

My 700 30-06 weighs around 8 lbs scoped/loaded , on my neighbors scale...you mean I'm not a lightweight? lol

I carried a Browning x bolt 270win through some nasty stuff deer hunting in WI at 9 lbs with a bi-pod. I never felt it weighed me down. I did get a Tikka T3 lite SS in 7mm mag that I think goes 8 something with the bi-pod. I have not hunted with that one yet.

This year will be a Remington Alaskan Wilderness 7mm SAUM that weighs eight at 7lbs. It's about perfect for my needs

I do 3-4 day trips hiking in the mountains of West Virginia with my heavy rifle. It is sure noticable weight, but it won't make me rush out to buy a new short barrelled light stocked gun to save the 4 lbs. or so.
Maybe when I get older and fatter it will be a consideration.

I do 3-4 day trips hiking in the mountains of West Virginia with my heavy rifle. It is sure noticable weight, but it won't make me rush out to buy a new short barrelled light stocked gun to save the 4 lbs. or so.
Maybe when I get older and fatter it will be a consideration.

Older and fatter won't be a consideration at 8,000' ASL.

Planning on testing that theory ou this fall in Wyoming.
Oxygen level could make weight feel more heavy than I think .
Guess I'll find out.

There is no way in hell I would carry around a 13.5 # rifle.

I usually carry a 9-9.5lb rifle on 80% of hunts wether back country or not. I will carry a light weight kimber Montana the other 20% of the time. Mostly it depends on how far shots will be. The light weight shots just as well as the heavier rifle but nut behind them shoots the heavier rifle better.

I have two rifles I'd take on backpack hunts. One weighs 8# and the other 9.5# ready to go. I'd like to get a lighter rifle someday, but outfitting my kids and going on hunts with my heavy rifles keeps the slush fund dry. Someday though... That said, I've not yet not been able to get where I needed to be because of the rifle weight.

Not sure when hunters became such wimps that they were worried about an extra 3lbs of rifle.

Chronic right shoulder injury got me looking to downsize from my 9# Interarms Mauser, for backcountry hunting in CO. I carry my light rifle over hill and dale all day for multiple days w no ill effect. Still use the Mauser when closer to the truck. As the big 6-0 approaches, I save my discomfort for packing game.

Back