Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Backpack rifle weight

Elk Arrow

What weight rifles are you guys carrying into the woods. My Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag is weighing in at 9 lbs scoped

I carry a Kimber Montana 308 Win if I really want to go light. Not sure what it weighs with a 2.5-8 Leupold, but it ain't much.

Jesus, 9 lbs? You need a 6.5 Creedmore that weighs at the most, 4lbs 11.9 oz. mtmuley

.30-06 Remington 700 in a B&C Alaskan Ti with Magpul bottom metal and 5rd mag and a Vortex Viper 4-16 HS-LR coming in at just under 9 lbs unloaded without sling.

ihZfEx2l.jpg

I'm with you OP, my Weatherby is probably 9lbs or maybe just a bit under. Sometimes it has a bipod on it that will push it above 10. At some point I'll get something lightweight, but its just not in the cards right now.

I am of the not light rifle guys.
My 300 win. mag. model 70 is 13 1/2 pounds of steel and wood. Not a joy to tote but a comfortable shooter.
It makes me confident when the shot counts.

Both of our rifles are just short of 8#. The .308 can be lowered to just short of 7# by reinstalling the factory stock, but I'm not that concerned with it.

If I were packing back in maybe, but not for what I do.

KIMG0414.jpg

Last edited:
What is driving the question? Are you thinking of investing in something lighter? There are definately other things I would invest in before lightening your rifle.

If you shoot it well, that is most important.

That being said, I have a couple of light rifles and they are nice to carry, but take a little more attention to shoot well. To answer your question; most of the time I am carrying a custom 700 in 260 Rem (6lb 12oz scoped), or a Kimber Mountain Ascent 7mm-08 (5lb 10oz scoped).

Last edited:
Is this post about clubs, or light rifles?

Pretty obvious that those that pack 12lb rifles are not going on 7-10 day backpack hunts... :D with the right partner mine weighs 0lbs, otherwise it's 5-15oz.

Can't wait to lug it around in t-minus 13 days.

Mine is sitting at 10lbs, I shoot it better because it has less recoil than a rifle in the same caliber with a lighter stock and honestly if your hoping to be packing an animal out of the woods you shouldn't really mind walking around with a 10lb rifle for a few days. The 3.5lb difference between the lightest and heaviest rifles on here can made up by talking to a tree before a slog up the mountain or by laying off the beers 2 weeks before the hunt.

I knew a guy in college so anal about weight when he backpacked, he would cut edges off his paper maps if it didn't have any print on it. He made a lot of his own cookware and would even taylor his clothing if it meant he could cut an inch of fabric off the cuffs somewhere.

My T3 superlite with a VX3i 4.5-14 and a full mag is between 6.5-7lbs. Not sure exactly but seems perfect for carrying all day.

Is this post about clubs, or light rifles?

Pretty obvious that those that pack 12lb rifles are not going on 7-10 day backpack hunts... :D with the right partner mine weighs 0lbs, otherwise it's 5-15oz.

Can't wait to lug it around in t-minus 13 days.

I lugged a 16lb rifle for 9 days of back country last year. It's very doable. Maybe not enjoyable, but very doable.:)

Mine is sitting at 10lbs, I shoot it better because it has less recoil than a rifle in the same caliber with a lighter stock and honestly if your hoping to be packing an animal out of the woods you shouldn't really mind walking around with a 10lb rifle for a few days. The 3.5lb difference between the lightest and heaviest rifles on here can made up by talking to a tree before a slog up the mountain or by laying off the beers 2 weeks before the hunt.

You keep telling yourself that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back