Yeti GOBOX Collection

Backpack rifle weight

Are those "mountains" in the background?

IMG_6039%203.jpg

Here you go smartass

Just weighed my hunting rifle it came in at 9 pound 13 ounces. That's scope ,sling ,bipod and empty magazine. My wife's weighed in at 9 pounds with scope , sling and bipod with 5 rounds in magazine . We pack alot of miles with these rifles.

In my experience, overall length has been on my wish list for improvement more than weight. Take a 700 with a 26 inch barrel and 2 inch break... damn I sometimes hate it. I'll go with a .270 on a 24 inch barrel next which will drop from around 9lbs to below 7lbs after all the different changes weight in.

My new rifle is 11.2 lbs according to my bathroom scale. I've never backpack hunted before. I've always went horseback. This year will be my first true backpack hunt. I am going to make due. PS I already know I'm not an avid mountain hunter. I only get to go every two years. I shoot my rifles more down here in Texas so I am going to keep my heavy gun. I'll let ya'll know if it was a deal breaker after Colorado's second rifle.

Rifles Inc Lightweight 70 with a few mods I had them do, weighs 7lbs 4oz with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 in Talley rings & bases. The Winchester 70 action is heavy but I love that action and the 3 position safety. I'll use it for steep country hunts for muleys or elk, and will take it after moose next year. I use 180gr Accubonds in it. I went with a little heavier barrel than Les usually uses on this rifle and like the extra weight out front. It fits me really well, easy to shoot fast but accurate at distance. I used it the first time last fall on game and took a decent muley at 358yds.

For flatter, windier country I have another M70 Winchester my gunsmith built into a 264 Win Mag that weighs 10lbs 6.8oz with the Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 and sling. It shoots Berger 140gr VLD bullets and decorates my house. I've owned it much longer than the 300WM, it has had more seasons to do so. I have taken my biggest whitetail, muley, and antelope with this rifle plus lots of other game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back