Caribou Gear

2018 BHA rendezvous game cook off

jmgraham1986

Randy/JR or anyone else in the know-

My wife was fortunate enough to draw a Desert Bighorn tag here in New Mexico for October. I'm very excited for this opportunity of a lifetime and am surprised about how many of my hunting partners are wanting to join us for this event. One small conundrum we have is that we're only going to be able to eat the meat until December when big blue will be packing up our bags and moving to Ramstein AB Germany. I want to ensure that this incredibly special animal is appreciated and used appropriately, so I don't want to give it away to just anyone.

ABQBW and I were talking about this little dilemma while we were driving back from Sante Fe yesterday where we met with a biologist that he knows to talk about the hunt. Brandon is already going to be covered up in Sheep meat this fall, so he came up with the brilliant idea of donating some of it to the BHA rendezvous cook off next year. I think it's an awesome idea! I can't think of a better group of individuals that would be interested in trying the meat of an animal like this and also appreciate what it is. I was wondering if you guys could tell me about how the cook-off normally works, who runs it and what cuts would be the best to save whole for the event.

-Jon
P.S.-You can't have the nuts! I'm keeping those big triumphant bastards for us.

That sounds awesome. I know JR will probably chime in but I seem to remember hearing that it needed to be from the state the Rendezvous is in, which would be Idaho this year.

I could be full of it as well, the weekend went by so fast it's all a blur now.

JMG1986.....I was working in the KMC area last year (Sembach for me) and have a great hook up for TLA accommodations. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Schaff: Well that sucks. Guess I need to Re-think my game plan.

SFC:
Thanks man! Sembach is sleepy hollow. I stayed at billeting there on a TDY one time, there is nothing going on there. I will look you up closer to PCS time to look up the TLA hook up.

Last edited:
Schaaf- I'm pretty sure that the only stipulation that wild game had to be from the state it was harvested in was for the Field to Table dinner since it was a fundraiser. I'm pretty sure that you could donate the meat to one of the teams at the Wild Game cookoff. I might be full of it as well, but I wouldn't give up on your plan yet jmgraham1986. I'd email Land Tawney or Grant Alban and ask them. I bet you can figure out a legal way one way or another to get that meat into the mouths of people who would enjoy it.

Schaaf- I'm pretty sure that the only stipulation that wild game had to be from the state it was harvested in was for the Field to Table dinner since it was a fundraiser. I'm pretty sure that you could donate the meat to one of the teams at the Wild Game cookoff. I might be full of it as well, but I wouldn't give up on your plan yet jmgraham1986. I'd email Land Tawney or Grant Alban and ask them. I bet you can figure out a legal way one way or another to get that meat into the mouths of people who would enjoy it.

I bet that's correct. If they do the camp chef cookoff again with no money involved you'd probably be okay.

Cook off is fine to donate meat for. The best bet would be a donation to team NM if they are competing. As the date gets closer you should be able to find out who will be representing NM (if any).

It was indeed, plenty of Roe deer right outside the gate . I am retired and was working for the DODEA schools there and lived in the center of K-Town.

Schaff: Well that sucks. Guess I need to Re-think my game plan.

SFC:
Thanks man! Sembach is sleepy hollow. I stayed at billeting there on a TDY one time, there is nothing going on there. I will look you up closer to PCS time to look up the TLA hook up.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zjzeuske
Back