MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Spotting Scope Opinions

Onxhntr

Hey guys I am fortunate enough to be purchasing a new spotter for this fall but wanted some of your guys opinions/what you guys use. It will mostly be used on back pack type hunts or something that I will be caring with me every day out in the field. May use it at the range or out of the truck but I'm not taking that into much consideration. I know you can't have the best of both worlds when it comes to weight and performance so I have narrowed it down or at least I think to either a 20-60x60 or a 15-45x65. Which would you choose, am I on the right track, or would you be looking at something else?

Its impossible for a scope to be all things to all people so you'll have to compromise somewhere. For example, I carry an ATM 80 HD (it weighs less than 6oz more than an ATS 65 HD but with much more light) because I am not willing to give up the performance to save a few ounces.

If I was looking for a true lightweight backpacking scope, I would probably go after the new KOWA 553 with Fluorite lenses.

I'm saving up for a Celestron C70. Not much weight, short.
It is not listed as water resistant, but i figure i'm not using a spotter in the rain.

I say saving up for because of a rifle build that i'm in the process of, just bought the scope.

My next purchase is going to be a Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact. I really like them and think it will work great for me.

Do you have your mind set on a particular brand? If so start from there and if you can, go a few sporting goods stores and check them out in person because unfortunately not all glass is created equal and you may find yourself willing to put up with a little extra weight for the added benefits

My opinion is that 50mm is too small. Dark during the critical times.

Love the size and weight of my Gold Ring 25X50. Not so much dawn/dusk performance.

I like my Nikon ED 50. Excellent performance at that weight. Ounces are important to me though.
HD

I love my Theron Saker! You don't have to break the bank for quality performance. Schmalts is a member here and Predator Optics is his store.

I owned an Nikon ED50. It underperformed on mule deer at 800 yards. I always wanted more power. I ran a Vortex low level for a few years and recently upgraded to a Swaro 65mm (couldn't find an ATM 80).

I should have just started with a Swaro.

Thanks guys for all the responses. I am definitely looking at the lower price range spotting scopes. I have narrowed it down between the Vortex diamond back 20-60x60 and the Vortex viper 15-45x65. For a newbie like myself I don't think I will be able to tell the difference just trying to decide if I want the nicer glass and more weight with the viper or the larger magnification with the diamond back.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 and I like it quite a bit, but in all honesty, I wish we would have bought some Vulture 15x56 binoculars. The scope is cool, but for our style of hunting, just picking out animals has more merit than seeing great distances

Back