Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mule deer tactics

338 win mag

Ok fellas, I need some advice from you veteran western hunters. Headed to Wyoming this October for muleys. I'm very accustomed to sitting in the same treestand day after day waiting for a mature whitetail to make a mistake and stroll through. I live in NC so I'm used to hunting small tracks of private land. We plan on hunting National Forest and BLM out of a base camp. Hiking out and glassing more than likely all day before heading back for the night. My question is, if we don't turn up any mature bucks in a certain area, should we cross that area off and hub out to a different area the next day? My gut tells be to cover as much country as we can. We will probably have 5-7 days to hunt. Thanks in advance!

I'm new to mule deer hunting as well, and I have been asking several questions too. Here are somethings I've been told and read. For bucks try and be in a glassing area/position before shooting hours as they are probably headed back towards their bedding area. Stay out all day glassing. Make sure to be glassing until shooting hours end as more deer become active. When you get tired of glassing one area with no deer, take a break, and re-glass again before moving areas. Glassing all depends on the terrain too and how far you are able to see and cover. Glassing takes practice to do it right and takes time to learn and lots of patience. I'm still learning and practicing. Browse an area in grids, for the obvious deer. Then start over again dissecting trees/bushes identifying, and looking for antlers or ear twitches. I grew up getting doe tags on mule deer and told just walk around until you find one and always did. I haven't hunted for mule deer in years and now I am going after a buck of decent size this size and will be putting everything I mentioned to practice.

If it were the November rut then I would say if you are seeing deer and no other hunters then stay put. October I am usually still bowhunting them and do a ton of glassing. I would not necessarily cross an area off that holds deer on public land, but make note of it and keep searching for the one you want. If time is running out one of those smaller bucks might be looking better and hopefully someone else hasn't discovered them.

I definitely will be hunting from dark to dark. Only way I usually hunt.

If it were the November rut then I would say if you are seeing deer and no other hunters then stay put. October I am usually still bowhunting them and do a ton of glassing. I would not necessarily cross an area off that holds deer on public land, but make note of it and keep searching for the one you want. If time is running out one of those smaller bucks might be looking better and hopefully someone else hasn't discovered them.

Probably will be the second week of October. Still a ways from the rut but hopefully late enough for some weather to push the deer a bit.

Early October is the toughest time to hunt muleys in my opinion, which is why states like to have rifle seasons then. They can sell more tags and have less impact on the buck numbers. That said I still hunt them then. Glass with binos on a tripod if possible or at least rested on shooting sticks. Glassing with binos on a tripod really helps with eyestrain when you are glassing day after day. The better the glass the easier it is on your eyes also. If your eyes start hurting, take a short break from the glass and just look with the naked eye. Don't expect much action except early or late in the day that time of year unless weather hits. I'm no expert, but I think most of the deer will be in the heavier timber, especially the big bucks. I don't think they will be to deep into it but more in strips or near edges.

Never skyline yourself crossing ridges and don't glass from the skyline. Always play the wind, and learn about thermals if you aren't familiar with them. Mike Eastmans newer muley book, Kurt Darner's book, and Robby Dennings book are great resources. Kurt has had some legal and ethical issues I've learned about later, primarily from the stir when Robby's book came out, but his book contained information I found valuable.

Past that I don't think it can be over-stressed to be in a spot to glass during the first and last minutes of daylight. Even after or before legal shooting light if you can see a buck you are a step closer to finding where he is during legal shooting light. I want to allow enough time to never be late in the morning, and make sure I have a plan I'm comfortable with to get out in the dark. Plans to make me efficient in my travel and not spook deer. I want to use those minutes without worrying about anything but spotting deer.

Early October is the toughest time to hunt muleys in my opinion, which is why states like to have rifle seasons then. They can sell more tags and have less impact on the buck numbers. That said I still hunt them then. Glass with binos on a tripod if possible or at least rested on shooting sticks. Glassing with binos on a tripod really helps with eyestrain when you are glassing day after day. The better the glass the easier it is on your eyes also. If your eyes start hurting, take a short break from the glass and just look with the naked eye. Don't expect much action except early or late in the day that time of year unless weather hits. I'm no expert, but I think most of the deer will be in the heavier timber, especially the big bucks. I don't think they will be to deep into it but more in strips or near edges.

Never skyline yourself crossing ridges and don't glass from the skyline. Always play the wind, and learn about thermals if you aren't familiar with them. Mike Eastmans newer muley book, Kurt Darner's book, and Robby Dennings book are great resources. Kurt has had some legal and ethical issues I've learned about later, primarily from the stir when Robby's book came out, but his book contained information I found valuable.

Past that I don't think it can be over-stressed to be in a spot to glass during the first and last minutes of daylight. Even after or before legal shooting light if you can see a buck you are a step closer to finding where he is during legal shooting light. I want to allow enough time to never be late in the morning, and make sure I have a plan I'm comfortable with to get out in the dark. Plans to make me efficient in my travel and not spook deer. I want to use those minutes without worrying about anything but spotting deer.

Thanks. That pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I have read Mikes book recently. Normally when whitetail hunting, I'm scanning constantly at first and last light with my binos. I've ordered an adapter for my binos on the tripod. I plan on hunting the edges of the forest as they transition to BLM. We plan on staying out all day even though I know that most activity will be early and late.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back