Climate warming and declining moose populations

Last edited:
I have not read about Shiras having liver fluke, tick or Meningeal (brain) worm problems
like moose back east and the lake states have experienced?

I believe in WY they are affected by an arterial worm, but I cannot find the study (I think it was being conducted in Laramie). I would guess this would potentially affect ID/MT/CO as well. BuzzH had some good info on it, especially as it related to the Wind River Range moose.

It's convenient, we're in the middle of a ten year moose study in the Big Hole- http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/diseasesAndResearch/research/moose/populationsMonitoring/

They haven't found a single wolf killed moose in the Big Hole, but they have found 13 moose killed from arterial worms and other parasites.

Nick was nice enough to come and give a presentation in Hamilton about this last year, did you catch it?

Beat me to it. To bad the study doesn't fit with the Lobo Watch crowd. It's hard to argue with the science but I'm sure it's coming.

Last edited:
I have not read about Shiras having liver fluke, tick or Meningeal (brain) worm problems
like moose back east and the lake states have experienced?

I've seen or heard of all of these killing moose in Idaho, but I can't say any are having population level effects. Some places here are doing well and are holding their own, others not so much. I can think of a couple units where predator populations probably did lead to moose declines. I think we are seeing a host of factors at play with regards to shiras pops.

Beat me to it. To bad the study doesn't fit with the Lobo Watch crowd. It's hard to argue with the science but I'm sure it's coming.

Just went over there to see how the better half lives. Apparently, we're all gonna die from chemtrails now.

Oh, and the woof's gonna eat all our babies. Glad to see that hasn't changed.

Bighole Valley is one of the coldest spots in the lower 48. My money is on some other factor. Think hard. What does the Bighole have that Colorado doesn't?

Easy there boy the commies will tell you when you are allowed to start that THINKING SHIT...

Really you guys could sell tickets in a fit of capitalism rage, but it would cause damage... The moose got et by a wolf last winter because it was just too hot the previous summer. Priceless logic

If a species can't handle the heat they die in the summer. If they can't handle the cold temps they die in the winter. But no grant money is given to such ridiculous claims.

Easy there boy the commies will tell you when you are allowed to start that THINKING SHIT...

Really you guys could sell tickets in a fit of capitalism rage, but it would cause damage... The moose got et by a wolf last winter because it was just too hot the previous summer. Priceless logic

If a species can't handle the heat they die in the summer. If they can't handle the cold temps they die in the winter. But no grant money is given to such ridiculous claims.

It's a bit more complicated then this. Please click the link in post #22.

Poor range conditions due to warming are a leading factor. If they go into winter with poor health, they aren't going to make it. Coupled with the potential for more severe weather swings, ie harsher winters.

So warmer summers and colder winters?

After having one of Montana's greatest at the time- moose tags in 2005, then watching it turn to garbage as they were transformed into tick, Wolf and Al Gore turds afterwards, it was fascinating to go to the flat wheat fields, tree rows, occasional pond and oil development of NW North Dakota and see a thriving moose population way out there. In hotter buggier summers and WAY colder winters.

Just went over there to see how the better half lives. Apparently, we're all gonna die from chemtrails now.

Oh, and the woof's gonna eat all our babies. Glad to see that hasn't changed.

Thanks for the laugh, I had to see it for myself. Wonder how long it is until they proclaim the world flat?

Fetty's, Jackson Hole Hot Springs, wide, open spaces and some great people.

Maine, central Canada and many other places are facing moose population declines and it's not because of wolves. It's not a predation causation, it's the habitat. You can look in places like the Boulder & Ruby valleys to see moose populations growing down low, while abandoning the high country. That's not wolves - it's food.

Those great people in the Bighole do take their predator management seriously. This was just a start.

http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_ae533cea-5023-11df-800e-001cc4c03286.html

Any chance that this had any effect on future moose studies?

More and more moose around here every year. Some of the best (and most) bulls I've seen were last fall. Looking forward to seeing how they do this year.

Attachments

• WGI_0012.jpg
    WGI_0012.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 218
Good link there. They covered a lot of ground there. Lower calf to cow ratios, decrease in timber harvest, effects of wild land fire, predators, parasites, human harvest including by natives, ECT. Well done.

Too bad you didn't make Nick's presentation when he was in Hamilton. That would have answered a lot of your questions.

Too bad you didn't make Nick's presentation when he was in Hamilton. That would have answered a lot of your questions.

Sorry I missed it. The only question I would have had for him was if he bought into this man caused global warming/ climate change and chem trail nonsense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back