Caribou Gear

Wyoming unit 29

50bowhunter

My dad and I have unit 29-1 tags this year. This is the public land tag so we will primarily be hunting the grasslands in the northern end of the unit. This will be the first antelope hunt for both of us and my first time ever in the west. Was looking to see if anyone has any hunting experience in the area, or general suggestions about the area such as butchers, taxidermist, restaurants, etc. we will be staying in a hotel in Douglas.

I have the Grasslands map, OnX subscription, and BLM maps. I couldn't be more excited to head west. Was supposed to go last year but had to back out because of a knee surgery so this trip has been two years in the making. We also have a couple of doe tags for unit 9 if we fill our buck tags in enough time.

http://maps.greenwoodmap.com/converse/map?#zcr=3/646562/864461/0&lyrs=publand,water,ownership,roads

Look at this map, it shows the roads. I would look around the scattered sections accessible from the public roads as well as the northern end.
You might make a couple of phone calls and still find some private access. Landowner names will also be available on that mapping system.

Wytex, you wouldn't happen to have a link for the roads in 27 as I have a tag for that unit? Is it possible to print these maps out on something larger than a piece of printer paper? Much appreciated!

Wytex, you wouldn't happen to have a link for the roads in 27 as I have a tag for that unit? Is it possible to print these maps out on something larger than a piece of printer paper? Much appreciated!

Here ya go. 27 is in parts of these 3 counties:

https://www.ccgov.net/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2017

http://conversecounty.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/639

http://www.westongov.com/_departments/_growth_development/_pdf/Cnty_Road_Maintenance.pdf

PS: There is a + and - sign over on the right lower area that you can use to zoom in and out. If you want to make your own map(s) of area, just zoom and print with the button at the upper right, then tape them together.

Last edited:
My father and I hunted unit 29 the last 2 years but we hunted on private land so I can't help you out there. I will tell you that there are a lot of pronghorn in the area. We were amazed with how many we saw. We stayed at the Douglas Inn the first year and there is a restaurant in the hotel that isn't bad. There is also a Mexican restaurant close to the Hotel that's pretty good.

We didn't use a processor or taxidermist there. We just caped, quartered and bagged everything. We actually brought a smaller deep freeze that fits in the back of my fathers F150 with a Honda generator and that worked amazing! We just filled up the generator whenever we filled up the tank in the truck. We butcher everything ourselves and use a local taxidermist here in Kansas that we're loyal to.

Do make sure to get the cape on ice ASAP and try not to get too much blood on the cape.

You will have a blast! Pronghorn might be my favorite animal to hunt, as I have turned into a certified antelope junkie now. I look forward to hearing about your hunt when it's all said and done. Good luck!!

I deer hunted that area about a decade ago. For what it's worth, I saw many antelope but a couple of weeks after the opener the big bucks were up in the broken country while herds of doe were out in the open.

I hunted 29 on a type 2 tag in 2015, we couldn't hunt the grasslands so we hunted private. We stayed in Bill (just north of Douglas) at the Oak Tree Inn. There is a decent diner attached to the hotel, big portions at a low price. I can echo what others have said, there are a lot of antelope. We went out after the first week of the season and didn't see any other hunters on our drive through the grasslands. The local grocery stores sell dry ice. Make sure you have a cold cooler to put the meat in. It was very warm, almost hot, so having a way to cool the meat down quickly is critical. We ran into the game warden, he was very nice and extremely helpful. We had been advised we would probably see him, he is pretty active during antelope season. I'd give the biologist a before you get there. They have tons of helpful information. Good luck!

http://maps.greenwoodmap.com/converse/map?#zcr=3/646562/864461/0&lyrs=publand,water,ownership,roads

Look at this map, it shows the roads. I would look around the scattered sections accessible from the public roads as well as the northern end.
You might make a couple of phone calls and still find some private access. Landowner names will also be available on that mapping system.

Any reason in particular I should look for private access? With the amount of public land and low number of tags issued, i had never even considered it.

i don't really see a reason to need private access. Looks like enough public to find antelope. You might find road access to landlocked public by asking though.
Here's the Niobrara County part of that area link: http://www.niobraracounty.org/_departments/_assessor/_PDF/maps/2016/Antelope20161.pdf
They have other maps on their county assessor page. The county road map has ranch names listed on it as well as public roads.

Thanks for the help. The grasslands map I have from the national forest is pretty good. It shows which roads are public/private and what kind of roads they are. I'll still double check with the links. We are planning for close to a full day to scout and 7 days to hunt, and I'll walk as a far as I need to.

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time hunting pronghorn, or posting on here, so y'all take it easy on me and excuse the stupid questions.

My brother in law is planning to hunt pronghorn with me in WY this fall because the person I was originally going with isn't going anymore. As a result of a last minute change in plans I didn't realize when my sister and I applied for his tag during the left over draw that it was for Unit 29-2 which is private land only. He drew the tag and now after looking at it closer I'm in a mild panic, and am worried that I've got us in a mess. Is there an area or a ranch that you would recommend?

I will be on public land in unit 63 after he is finished so any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Heather

Thanks for the help. The grasslands map I have from the national forest is pretty good. It shows which roads are public/private and what kind of roads they are. I'll still double check with the links. We are planning for close to a full day to scout and 7 days to hunt, and I'll walk as a far as I need to.

There is a BLM office in Douglas so you can check there too. Only processor is Tom's Wild Game now AFAIK. They mite do caping for you. No taxidermist. Nearest is in Casper I believe. There is a processor in Glenrock.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back