Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Backpack Hunting in Bear Country?

J.R.2

I apologize in advance for the silly question, but what are you guys doing with your food when your camping in bear country particularly grizz country? I know most backpackers do the bear bin/can thing, but they are real bulky and add extra unwanted weight. Was just wondering if anyone has any methods that work.......tying it off in a tree, leaving it in your tent, etc?

Thanks

Sometimes trees are far below in elevation on mule deer hunts. In that case I use an Ursack. They are IGBC approved, though I understand some ranger districts have a hard time accepting that fact.

I just used an Ursack on on a wilderness float trip and will say it is a lot easier (if a lot more expensive) than any other option. I'm not 100 percent convinced of its effectiveness, but nothing is 100 percent effective. I think they will work if you keep them clean and use the plastic liners. A 100 feet of parachute cord is a lot cheaper, but sometimes it's hard to find that tree for hanging 10 feet up and 4 feet out. Especially in forests dominated by subalpine fir or above timberline. Those hard plastic bear kegs are a good option. If traveling with stock, consider one of those portable electric fences.

Curious peoples thought on the article below. I drew a mountain goat tag and there’s not a lot of suitable trees up there. I bought an ursack and will go that route

88BA092E-5F7D-41E9-995D-D5DA9917A7A1.jpeg6D23E06B-3F71-4237-8464-B6789C277DE5.jpeg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back