WY Area 51 - anyone been there?

Dr. Vette

I was lucky enough to draw a leftover doe tag for Area 51 (no UFOs that I know of) in southern Carbon County. I chose it because we are elk hunting just south of there in Colorado, and thought I might be able to try for an antelope on the way home.

Has anyone hunted in that unit? Any tips or tricks?
The harvest stats look quite good, and it appears that there is some public land available for hunting.
However, personal experience beats internet scouting.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

I don't have any intel, but I picked up a leftover doe tag in that unit as well so I'll be interested in the responses. From my limited E-scouting it looks like a land-ownership chip in your GPS will be a big help.

Decent county road access. Looks like a good area for taking a little hike away from the roads. Lots of different terrain too. Look down in the flats and bowls for their hiding spots.
http://gis.carbonwy.com/

This shows the roads and landowners. That is a migration route for later so if snow flies they come up from Colorado. Lots came up last winter into southern Wyoming and Colorado was saying many did not migrate back down so numbers may be great. Some winterkill but not a lot.

[email protected] Biologist in Saratoga area.

Thanks. I have the GPS chip, and have had it also on my home computer for a few years. Nothing like using a big screen for e-scouting.
I did notice the variety of terrain. I'm hoping that we can spend a day or two hunting the area. Per statistics, the odds of success are quite good.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back