MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk hunt clothing

kelley12

I am doing my first elk hunt this year near Dunton Colorado. I was able to pull first rifle so i will be there mid October. We plan on spike/bivy camping.
I am trying to figure out what clothing to take. Do i take two of anything or bring the thicker coat and pant in case it gets cold? It will be for 4-5 days. Most of my stuff is first lite and some under Armour. I need to go lite so not sure what I can cut. What is everyone else doing?

thanks

The best option is to always layer. If you have first lite, you should have plenty of merino wool, so that's your base, then bring an insulating layer and then a wind stopper. Are you looking for specific types of jackets/shirts to take or just in general how to dress?

Trying to get an idea on how many layers to take. Base layer, mid layer, outer layer. And seems like i should only double up on socks and underwear.

As long as you have quality base layer, mid layer and outer layer, that should be good to go! I always double up (at the least) on socks and underwear. Fresh sock and underwear are absolute game changers!!

Dunton is at 9000+ft. It goes uphill from there. One thing you can count on is freezing temps or lower at night. You will be out long before dawn. Your base layer sounds good. As others have said, layering is the way to go. Warm socks and good footwear are as important. If you are tent camping, a wall tent with a wood stove is the way to go. You can use small pack tents that will work but be prepared to eat fast and crash in the PM. You need a good closed cell sleeping pad whether you use a cot or not. A sleeping bag rated at -20° would be about perfect. It will warm up during the day some, 40°+. Good luck. GJ

Last edited:
Weather can be anything that time of year. Last year first rifle was 65 degrees during the day and didn't even freeze at night where I was (near Gunnison). I would figure out the average temps for the region and plan for that. When the time gets closer, check the weather and see what it is going to be like. Adjust accordingly from there. I generally have two light base layers, a thicker hoody or vest, a puffy and a light rain coat in the pack. Wool boxers, tall wool socks and light wool pants for the bottom.

I think Skurka has THE best rubric for 3 season backpacking layering system, which I think translates to hunting pretty much perfectly. It gives examples of every piece, and describes their function within the system, without specifically recommending particular brands or models. http://andrewskurka.com/tag/core-13/ You can use any high quality outdoor brand, or you can go with hunting specific brands as well, they all carry some version of each of these items. It's a good place to start to understand what people mean when they say 'dress in layers', and you can adjust things from there for your specific trip.

The outfitter tole me to pack just two sets of clothing. We were up 10,000 ft then got snow. First Lite merino wool was the ticket for first layer. As others have recommended, layer. Puffy vest for outer layer.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back