Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best budget rain gear?

Brachii

I splurged this year and got some Sitka gear shells with gore tec, but I've heard that won't suffice for rain gear. I'd love to buy a sitka rain jacket to match, but they're like $300. I just can't justify that. Anyone know of some lower price stuff that is either discontinued and/or just cheaper? KUiu had a rain jacket for sale for like $130 but even that is expensive for a rain jacket. Anyone really like their stuff for under 100?

There are a lot of inexpensive items out there. I think all you need is for it to go over bulky clothes and keep you dry. There are some that are noisy which for big game hunting matters, while pattern doesn't, in my opinion. However I am looking for something for water fowling where noise doesn't matter so much but i think pattern does. Check out frogg toggs and read the reviews good ad bad.

Good luck.

We bought Cabela's stuff. Has worked good so far. We use it as an outer windproof layer and keep it with us most of the time.

Helly Hansen Impertech has never done me wrong. Its not exactly tech clothing tough, more rubber suit. Heavy, non-camo, doesn't breath, but keeps me dry as a bone in even the hardest soaker.

I agree though that i don't really need camo for rain gear. Just something that keeps me dry.

I would think anything Sitka makes with Gore-Tex would count as rain gear in most all western hunting situations. All the Gore-Tex clothing I've ever owned has stood up just fine to any rain I've encountered. Of course, I've never hunted the coast or anyplace where it's hard rain all day every day so your mileage may vary.

Marmot Precip in solid colors can be had for $65/piece and is the best budget option.

Another marmot precip vote. Sierratradingpost has them and another marmot series for pretty cheap. I have the brown jacket and black pants, they have served me well for at least 4yrs. I just used some DWR rejuvenator this spring for a little maintenance.

I have a pair of rain pants from Red Ledge that have never failed. I'd not be afraid of trying one of their jackets and they are very reasonable. IME/O, I won't consider a rain jacket that does not have ample ventilation. I like BIG pit zips/vents. Otherwise I might as well just let the rain get me wet as I'll be sweated just as wet with out the ventilation.

I have had good luck with redhead squaltex. You can usually catch it on sale during the fall hunting classic for around 40 dollars for top and 40 for bottom. They are also wind proof, but have no ventilation zippers but for the price I've never worried about that.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back