Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NE Wisconsin Public Land Grind 2017

Cmbrown337

Follow along as I document my 2017 Public land hunting grind For whitetails in eastern Wisconsin. My season will start in mid September and will go until the end of January as some of the land I hunt is a metro unit. I hunt a mix of farm land, the north woods and urban areas. I use a wide variety of tactics such as hunting from a treestand, sitting on the ground, still hunting, spot and stalk. A goal of mine this season is something I have never done before and that is to stalk in standing corn. This will be my first season attempting so my goal is to just be able to get in position on any deer while stalking in the standing corn.

As always the season will be a long grind but I wouldn't have it any other day. You can also follow my instagram account at cmbrown337. Good luck to all you fellow hunters this fall!

I will be posting trail cam pics as I get them as well as updates from the field and after my days hunt.

Looking forward to following along. What counties do you hunt in the northwoods? (if you don't mind sharing). I used to bowhunt pretty much exclusively in Lincoln county, but I have recently moved to the northwest part of the state. Should be a fun season for me learning and hunting new areas.

Looking forward to following along. What counties do you hunt in the northwoods? (if you don't mind sharing). I used to bowhunt pretty much exclusively in Lincoln county, but I have recently moved to the northwest part of the state. Should be a fun season for me learning and hunting new areas.

I have a hunting shack in Northern Oconto County. Tough hunting public up there but by far my favorite out of all my hunting places!

Hunting in the corn can be deadly! Good luck from Marathon County!

I love using all different tactics hunting and I can see this becoming my favorite method. There is an old how to video on YouTube by Toad Smith on hunting deer in standing corn. After watching that video is what made me decide to try hunting in standing corn. I love hunting deer with a bow from ground level. The feeling of being that close to them eye to eye is like nothing else. Thank you everybody for following! I will hopefully have a couple trail cam pics to post in the coming week or so.

Checked two of my camera's on one of the pieces of public I hunt today and was a little disappointed. Just a few pics of does and fawns. I had a couple of small bucks on camera earlier this summer. Been over two weeks since I checked these cams. I left one cam in place and pulled another one that I will be putting at a different spot in the coming days. Public hunting is a grind but that is why I love it! That is why I vary my tactics and don't get hung up hunting one particular way. It's a long season and I am looking forward to it!

Here is a couple pictures from earlier this summer when I checked my cameras a little over two weeks ago.IMG_0897.jpgIMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

Here is an aerial of one of the properties I hunt. It is private land leased by the DNR so its open to the public for hunting and other recreational activities. This will only be my 3rd year hunting the property. Everywhere I can hunt is outlined in red. The last 2 seasons the soybean fields I have outline was corn so this will be my first year hunting it with soybeans. I have a treestand on the edge of the timber which I never had much success out of. The corner where I have the trail camera marked I have jumped numerous deer there the last two season while walking back to the truck. So I placed a trail cam this year on that corner and may be putting a ground blind in there for the first couple days while the beans are still green. Last year I had some good luck sitting on the ground back in the timber which I am sure where most of the deer movement will be especially when the corn is picked on the neighboring property. There is also a small tree line that runs just to the west of my trail camera that runs along the field which I think may be good for deer traveling.

Just wanted to give everyone an idea of the areas I hunt. I will be posting similar posts of different areas in the future so you guys can reference them while I talk about my hunts. Bow season starts here September 16th!

Took a day trip to the northwoods today for a mini scout session where my hunting shack is located. Came across a clear cut that was just cut this summer. I saw lots of deer tracks on the logging road as well as some tracks along the edge of it. I placed a trail camera on the back side of the cut. There is a small island of trees that isn't cut approximately 20 yards from where my camera is. The first picture is one of the cut from the road and the second picture is the view from where my camera is pointing towards the island of uncut trees.

I have never Hunted a clear cut before but from what I heard it can be good hunting especially during the rut. Since it was just cut this summer this will be more of a food source for deer, not bedding but could serve as both in coming years. The cut is right along the road so it is very accessible. There is a large cross country ski trails just down the road that a lot of hunters use to access and go deeper into he woods so I am hoping that pressure may push the deer back towards the road where the cut is. If anybody has any experience deer hunting clear cuts and has any advice I am all ears.

IMG_0978.jpgIMG_0981.jpg

Well I am excited to announce that this thread has just gone from the "NE Wisconsin public Land Grind" to the "NE Wisconsin and North Dakota public land Grind."

My wife and I are going on our honeymoon next month. We were originally going to go hiking in Colorado but we decided to do a DIY bowhunt for whitetails in North Dakota! She will just be hunting as she just started hunting last year and will be trying to get her first deer. Time to start looking at some aerials for this last minute trip!

Does anyone have any experience hunting public land whitetails in ND?

Yesterday my wife and I headed to the northwoods to check the trail camera I placed on the edge of the clear cut I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Yesterday's trip really got me pumped up for the season to start as soon as we pulled up to the clear cut we saw two bucks atanding out in it. This was at about 2:30 pm. And it has just gotten done with a heavy rain.

We then went and check our trail cam. We had a lot more pictures on it than I thought! Pictures of deer were taken almost daily. There was no mineral or anything placed out either to attract them. I was just monitoring their natural movement. I swapped out cards and will check again in 2-3 weeks.

About 30 seconds after walking away from the camera we saw two more deer in the clear cut. Yesterday's trip has got me excited to hunt the northwoods this year.

IMG_1017.jpgIMG_1018.PNGIMG_1019.jpg

Man those clear cuts down here in the south are killer. It will be tough with a bow, but the morning and evenings the deer love the edges and next year the browse will be incredible. I keep routing for you and your wife. Good luck and safe travels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back