Caribou Gear Tarp

How far do you glass?

guserto4

This is such a subjective question based on animal, optics, terrain, habitat, how much time you have in the day and in the trip, how far you are from camp, your car, your buddies, and of course how many critters you've seen so far (or not seen)... BUT what's your average realistic range for glassing?

I ask this because I'm doing some e-scouting and am trying to decide at what interval I should consider breaking up the terrain into glassing locations. I have one specific basin I like the looks of where it's too far to effectively look from one end to the other. Obviously, the other side could become a stretch for my eyes, but it made me start to wonder what most people "try" and do. So...

'bout how far do you all end up looking when you're glassing?

Usually within a mile or so,but realized I was just glassing elk 5mi down my valley this morn @ sunrise. Just could not make out any bulls...

Just until the next peak. Even if it's a smaller mountain or hillside, it's possible there's something bedding on the other side of it you won't be able to see from your current spot. So I try to find one spot per valley

Last edited:
Depends on if you are glassing to hunt in that particular area or glassing to look for potential areas. If you have quality optics that are capable, you can see miles away as to a potential spot to go and hunt...

As far as I'm willing to pack an animal. Really depends on retrieval methods, size of animal, terrain and access as you say. I usually look for animals as far out as I can see. No reason not to. Animals move, and just because they're 5 miles out one day doesn't mean they won't be a mile the next. For glassing to confirm size, I would say I need to be inside about 2 miles to determine if the animal is worth going for.

Farthest spot and kill was about 4 miles. My optics just can't see much beyond that, other than confirm its an animal.

I tend to locate them, then move closer to size them up of possible. Depending on the animal, this could mean getting inside a mile or less for small animals like deer/sheep, or inside 2 miles or so for larger animals.

for me it depends on the sun, air quality and if its heavy cover. Just last weekend I was glassing miles away with a spotter on 30x. Once I find a deer or elk it gives me a really good idea what I am looking for in spotter.

this all sounds about right. My assumption, is "as far as I can see" but likely focusing in on about 1-1.5 miles.

I ussually approach it from the perspective of what areas do I want to glass, and then I figure out where I need to hike to look into them. I can glass along ways, but it seems like the little hidey holes that I really want to glass can cause me to have to get closer; which is probably why the animals are there in the first place.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back