Monolithic bullet's

Don Fischer

Something bout reloading them has me perplexed. Everyone say's they like to be seated some certain distance off the lands to shoot well. It that is so then why does anybody load them in factory ammo to work in any rifle you might own. I can see why people like them but I'd never pay the cost, shoot I won't even lay out extra for partition's.But how can these factories develop a load for any rifle that actually works reasonably well in that factory cartridge. I think the popular saying is the Barne's claims their bullet likes a jump of .030". Don't they make ammo too? How do they get that jump off every rifle to make them work their best? I suspect that factories that say this make their own factory stuff and simply settle for acceptable!

Factory ammo has to be seated such that it will work in any rifle chambered for that cartridge. Therefore, it is most likely that a given rifle will not shoot it's best with the bullet loaded to SAAMI specs. However, that is not to say that it won't shoot good loaded to SAAMI specs. People that buy factory ammo aren't super concerned about shrinking groups down a tiny bit, and typically that ammo will work just fine for hunting. Seating to different depths usually doesn't affect accuracy in huge amounts (save maybe for the VLD design), but some people get their panties in a twist about .25" and therefore they list optimal seating depths. Funny thing is, that number isn't set in stone. It is more of a ballpark number since every rifle is unique.

People that expect peak performance out of their rifles using factory loaded ammunition are due for disappointment. Same goes for people that think factory ammo can't get the job done.

That make's sense. Don't understand why factories make a deal of seating depth if they can't do that in all rifles with factory ammo. Kind of like them saying, this ammo would shoot a lot better if you reload it! And that is probably true!

I've shot a variety of factory mono bullets and they have all performed well in a variety of rifles.

I think the issue is that they prefer to jump to the lands, all factory loads have said jump, well over the .050 that Barnes recommends. Some reloaders will naturally want to load for maximum seating length, maximizing case capacity and minimizing jump so these recommendations are meant to guide those types of reloaders to the starting point.

I've shot Barnes for years with good luck. Does anyone know what their required speed for full expansion is for their tsx? Irony really shoot beyond 400 us a so its never been a big concern.

I've shot Barnes for years with good luck. Does anyone know what their required speed for full expansion is for their tsx? Irony really shoot beyond 400 us a so its never been a big concern.

With the plastic tip does it even matter anymore?

I've used both tipped and non tipped with good luck. I think tipped open slightly faster. Using non tipped now. Just curious what's generally considered fast enough for full expansion.

Nice looking mushrooms! I've seen some that break a petal but don't hear about it often anymore. JJ Hack, white hunter some time back wrote about them. He went from skeptical to love in them! he'd mention something about the untipped ones occasionally closing up rather than opening. I think Winchester went to the tip first and claimed they did it to ensure opening.

2000 fps is the minimum I recommend when using Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip.

When using Cutting Edge Bullets, Cavity Back or Hammer Bullet, you can go down to 1600 fps.

Back