MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

atv's and elk hunting

Robertsj22

new guy here planning a rifle elk hunt. my question is if you have an atv is it a good thing to take with you. Or do you feel they do more harm then good.

More harm than good. It's a shame many folks ride them into the wilderness. It's these same folks who complain they rarely see a mature animal.

To clarify;
I'm against driving them off the road. I agree that they can replace a truck on the correct routes.

Last edited:
They have their place I guess. I used them last year for the 1st time. On gravel roads only. Parked them and then hiked from there. They sure help you get from a base camp to an area you want to explore, but beyond that they accomplish nothing.

Mine will be staying at home this year.

This oughta be a good one!

I feel like if you have one, you should take it. Now plenty of guys never use one but the mountain roads can be so awful that sometimes you can't get very far without one. I think if you have local knowledge of an area and where a truck can and can't take you, then maybe a guy doesn't need one. When going to a new area though, it's just so hard to know what to expect and an ATV can really come in handy at times. Now if you're going to be like a lot of guys and just drive one around all day on the trails, then it doesn't do you much good.

They can get you places that a truck won't go. They can get you closer to a downed elk. Used conservatively, no problem. They also can easily ruin your hunt and that of others. Be sure to follow rules for the hunt area.

They are good in a limited fashion. Only use it for packing out an animal or getting to a distant trailhead where you can park it miles from where you plan to hunt. They can be great tools, but if over used you might as well not have gone hunting at all.

At least where I hunt, most guys drive all over the place and make a complete ruckus. To be honest with you, I'm so soured by four-wheelers that just the mention of them in association with hunting grinds my gears.

Like others have said they can be a good tool if used LEGALLY. Too many people drive anywhere they can get one whether the area is closed or not. I have used them to get game out where it was legal, I have also had hunts ruined by people driving them in areas that were closed to motorized vehicles.

Depends on the area. I've elk hunted in areas where they were useless due to the terrain/access and others where they were nearly indispensable.

I was amazed at how many atv tracks there were going around this sign. Use your atv responsibly and legally.

0923150808.00 (1).jpg

Nothing more relaxing than cruising the untrammeled forest on the wheeler during elk season with a good cigar.

Use in place of a truck. Where I go you can not take them off of established roads. Roads is used very loosely. Some of these roads are heavily washed. 9 times out of 10 its faster to get there with the ATV than the truck, even if the road was in good condition. Just gonna be a little colder on your way in. Depending on where you go the animals are somewhat used to traffic. As long as youre not right on top of them. A little common sense goes a long way. At a minimum I'm still hiking in 2 miles from where I stop.

As long as you are staying on legally traversable roads, I can see a use for them once the weather turns bad, as you might be able to get to a trailhead where your truck could no longer go. They will never replace walking once you hit the trailhead.

I think a lot of the comments are hitting it.......when people (like myslef) have trouble with ATVs it isn't really the ATVs it is the people using them. It really pisses me off how many people have no regard for laws. a prime example is where I hunt. ATVs are not allowed AT ALL and our campsite is on the edge of the wilderness area (we all know the further restrictions there). So there is a "road/ trail" that will take you all the way to the boundary of the wilderness (which is where we camp). The rules for the trail are that only vehicles with current ROAD registration are legal on the trail from where it leaves the county road all the way to the end. Signs are conspicuous at the entrance. EVERY time we are up there (including this scouting trip we just did) there a$$holes in there on ATVs. We try to gently remind them and most couldn't care at all. One summer we actually had a dude in an 80s Chevy shortbed come driving up a HIKING trail on a ridge a MILE into the wilderness. When he saw us he stuck his head out the window and said "Am I not supposed to be here?" Seriously? SMDH At least during hunting season there is occasionally CPW/ FS folks around to run them off. I guess I am old but the thing I value most in wild places is that wild and quiet.

Several of the roads to the trail heads I hunt turn into axle deep mud. If it's wet I use the ATV.

The other situation is when I hunt a non-loop. Drop off the ATV at the ending point, drive truck to the starting point. Hunt. Drive ATV back to truck.

They can definitely be very useful to get from base camp to your starting point. I hate seeing people abuse them and drive where they shouldn't be. I use mine to take where I don't want to beat the heck out of my truck. But where the road stops, my 4-wheeler also stops.

The other situation is when I hunt a non-loop. Drop off the ATV at the ending point, drive truck to the starting point. Hunt. Drive ATV back to truck.

This is kind of a cool idea. You get to keep the wind in your face much better.

new guy here planning a rifle elk hunt. my question is if you have an atv is it a good thing to take with you. Or do you feel they do more harm then good.

A good use.

Drop the truck down at the bottom of the mountain and ride the atv to the top of the mountain.

Hike down to the Truck.

Pick up the truck and drive to pick up the ATV.

I'd say they have their place. I didn't take our side-by-side last year and we managed, but getting up some of those beat up roads would have been far more pleasant with the ATV. I'm debating whether to take ours this year as some of the roads we are considering are unknown to us. They're legally open roads but they don't look too traveled from the GE scouting. The ATV would make life easier if these roads end up being washed out and nearly impassable. I will say that I've been able to drive 90% of the roads I've encountered over the past 7 hunts in WY with just a 1/2 pickup with some decent all-terrain tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back