PEAX Equipment

Trade a life time bull tag for an OTC tag?

bomberdeer

My wife drew a once, maybe twice, in a life time bull elk tag in Nevada - unit 11-115 early rifle. Her odds with 6 points were fair. The unit group produces super bulls every year. The problem is that she'll be 8 months pregnant at the time of the hunt.

As stubborn and as competitive as she is, she thinks she's going elk hunting in November. Her doctor advises otherwise. If she turns the tag in she'll keep her bonus points and gain a point for year, but it may take 6-7 years before she draws again. She'll draw again is the point I try to to make to her. She wants to hunt some sort of big game if she does turn the tag in, so I'm thinking a September general archery OTC archery elk tag in Idaho.

I just want to get her into animals, and I think she'd enjoy she'd enjoy the elk rut experience. She's seen plenty of elk while deer hunting in Nevada, but never has she heard an elk bugle in the wild. Doc says at 5-6 months pregnant, she can get out and hike around, but just don't over do it.

Any tips on zones, and where to just get into animals is greatly appreciated. I've been researching a bit and unit 36a perks my interest a bit. Trophy quality is by no means a priority.

Thanks!

I think you're right to be concerned, as much trouble as you might get into at the house is not worth the risk to your wife and baby. With the number of points she already has, her odds of drawing the same tag again will only get better as she collects more points.

As far as the OTC hunt, I would try to schedule a Dr visit right before the trip. Being able to call may mean less miles on your boots, but the mountains are the last place you wanna find out she's developing pre-eclampcia. If the doctor's visit checks out, then good luck on your trip. It's so cool that your wife is such a champ when it comes to chasing bulls even blowed out like a balloon. She shouldn't have any trouble getting right back on the mountain once she heals up. Best of luck and congrats on your new hunting buddy.

I think I'd take her for a nice drive thru Estes Park late September so she can hear elk bugling. A nice Wyoming antelope hunt would get her out on a more reasonable big game hunt at 8 months pregnant! I admire her zeal, but I can't see elk hunting with her ready to pop at any moment; there is a lot going on inside there and it is a pretty big load to haul around on flat ground. That's quite a woman.

Does the state allow returns due to health reasons? If so get the doctor to sign off and return the tag for next year.

Is the unit physically strenuous or can it be road hunted ? With our first child my wife was 2 weeks overdue and she insisted on going with me on a Christmas morning goose hunt in the snow. I couldn't talk her out of it. 3 days later our daughter was born.

My wife felt pretty good at 4 months with both of our kids, at 8 months not so much. Your wife may have an entirely different attitude at 8 months. At 8 months things are very different and many women are just miserable at that time. What a shame it would be to get there in Nov. and find that hunting will be limited to driving the roads. Those super bulls are rarely found next to the road.
Being in the mountains if something were to happen would be unthinkable. A misstep here or slipping in the snow or whatever.
No animal is worth putting the health of your wife and baby at risk.

Looks like she has until one day before the season to decide and then get a refund if she can't make it happen.

http://www.eregulations.com/nevada/hunting/tag-permit-regulations/

Hunting at 8 months is not unheard of, just can be very uncomfortable. She will be able to decide.

I wonder if she would come under the section you mention that says a "medical disability" to give one days notice or the section below it for any reason, because the second has a date of before and after 7/15 to get or not get a refund.

I really don't think any elk hunt would be smart this year,otc archery included.But,if the tag she has is in easy terrain,I would be more inclined to do that.Archery usually means elk up high and alot of hiking.I wouldn't want my pregnant wife doing that at 6 months.No elk is worth possible complications with your baby

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back