Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kuiu Zip Off Bottoms

Electraman

I know Kuiu isn't always the most popular choice and it's probably for good reason, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with there Merino Zip Off Bottoms.
They make the 145 and the 210 and the 210 is on sale now.
I really like the idea of the ability to put on or take off without removing pants or boots.
I know some of you must have tried these, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to everyone.

I love them. I use them here in PA. I can hike to my treestands with minimal layers on so I don't get soaked in sweat. Then when I get to my stand I pull them outta my pack and throw them on without having to take my boots off. I have the 145 and the Kenai synthetic bottoms. Super easy to put on and take off. I do it in the dark with a red headlamp.

I've got a pair and they are sweet. It is awesome to be able to hike in to a place in the morning and then just zip them on once you are to your glassing spot. Highly recommend them.

Buy them, you'll thank us later. They're on sale right now. I love mine, I used them all last season. It's nice not having to have that debate and commit to throw on long jons in the morning or not before you leave camp.

On and off in 10 seconds and super light to carry on your pack. Your always comfortable.

They are probably one of the single biggest "why didn't anyone think of this before" items to come into my hunting clothing in a long time. Absolute genius. Ends the morning debate of should I put on a base layer or not.

The downside is, I don't think Kuiu quite has the merino thing mastered yet. The fabric texture is definitely less comfortable than First Lite.

But everyone needs to have a pair; most just don't know it yet.

The downside is, I don't think Kuiu quite has the merino thing mastered yet. The fabric texture is definitely less comfortable than First Lite.

If it's cold enough where I'm going to be using long johns, I will ALWAYS be wearing my First Lite merino base layer. Then just put the zip offs over those and you're good to go.

First Lite is softer, but not as durable as KUIU's merino. Brand new First Lite merino boxers split in the croch the first day. KUIU's zip off has lasted me a while, even worn consecutive days with no rips.

They were my first purchase after last years hunt in Colorado for elk, going to be a game changer this year for high country Mule Deer.

I've moved mostly away from Kuiu gear except for a couple key pieces, but as mentioned - just buy them... One of my favorite pieces of gear.

Just think of how much of a pain in the A** it is to take off Gaiters and boots when it's wet out if you want to layer up or layer down.

Ditto the praises here. I have two complete top and bottom pairs and they are the cat's meow!!!! I am amazed at how many days they can stay on, feel great, control any odors, hold up well to wear and washing, and have a wonderful zipper placement to use in use, both getting them on and off. In fact, I love everything I have purchases and used from KUIU. If I have a complaint, it is that the sizes run small, so buy one size bigger. Also their forearms on their products is too tight and I'm no Popeye. Great packs!!!!

I have a pair and really like them for the reasons above. They're a little small for my calves, but i can live with it

The only real issue I was having was the waist band wasn't real comfortable where the zippers were on my hips when I had a heavy pack on. I started pulling them up over the top of the waist line of my pants and it seemed to help. Switching from a leather filson belt to a nylon belt may solve that somewhat too.
Overall a really versatile piece that allows you to shed a layer quickly and easily. Made my hunting partners really jealous when I zipped them off and saved my under carriage from being swamped out in the afternoons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back