MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Seasonal roads

Clawsar

Hey guys, I just did a little hike and put a trail camera up in an area I've poked around several times but never hunted. When I pulled up to the normally closed gate I saw it was open. Not having that areas MVUM, I parked off the to the side like normal and hiked about 1.5 miles angled off from the road a ways. Checking later, I saw the road is opened seasonally from 7/1-8/31. My question is, how long after the gate is closed will wildlife 'reclaim' the area? It didn't look heavily used; I suspect most others think it's closed all year too but I wouldn't count everyone out. With Archery opening 9/2, should I rule this spot out for elk and deer until mid October rifle? I scouted out a different area two weeks ago that had a similar seasonal road. That one had a great meadow 1.5 miles back that I had dismissed and went instead three miles deeper.

Thanks for the input.

I hunt some areas with seasonal road closures. Near as I can tell, the wildlife never leaves. Some areas don't hold game until the closure is in place. Just depends. mtmuley

Back