Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First time wyoming pronghorn

Bigjav

Both me and my dad drew pronghorn buck tags in northwest wyoming this year. We've hunted the area for deer and are familiar with the unit and have seen a lot of antelope as we're driving through areas to hunt deer in the higher elevations. This is the first time I'm hunting pronghorn and was looking for any pointers on choosing a mature one. Also I've heard they spoil quick and need to be cooled immediately. Also that the cape is really finicky and will easily loose all it's hair so it's not worth messing with, is there any truth to that and if so what can be done to prevent it.

Capes are hard to keep nice with antelope, that is true. Getting the meat cool as soon as possible is also best practice. Usually in Wyoming in September it will be warm, sunny, and antelope country is often limited for shade. As for judging antelope that is probably the hardest part of antelope hunting. I have killed a bunch, and helped buddies kill a bunch, and its still a challenge. Look for prongs that start above the ears, mass, and good length to prongs. If you want to learn from the masters look up pronghorn guide service and their videos. Best out there in my opinion. In the end though, its your tag just find one you are happy with and have fun.

From a biological standpoint, pronghorn meat isn't much different from any other mammal-- you always want to be breaking it apart as much as possible to increase surface area so it cools quickly and doesn't spoil. As far as its hide goes, if you cut through it from the subdermal side with the blade pointing up, less hair breaks off. Helpful tip that can be used for any game animal.

It is very important to keep as much hair as possible from getting on the meat. Antelope hair is really oily due to their glands and they have a distinct smell. If you care for the meat properly you'll find it delicious

This fall will be my first time hunting in Wyoming. Antelope will be the first animal on the list in Eastern unit 22.
I have dealt with quite a few antelope in my taxidermy shop though, and most were not in good shape.

Several animals tend to give trouble for people, especially in warm weather. Keeping a cape cool and dry is a good start, freeze it ASAP.
If it is really bloody or dirty, a quick soak in a bucket of cold water with a mix of one cup bleach, one cup pinesol, in five gallons of water is great help keeping bacteria down.
The cape must be hung up and air dried promptly. The hair side should be very dry before folding and rolling it up for storage on ice.
This washing should only be done in a shady area with a good breeze.
If too warm though , washing and not drying properly can certainly ruin a cape and cause hair slippage . So if you can't get it cool quickly, I wouldn't try to wash it.
I have an elk and deer hunt in northwestern Wy this October.
Don't know if you will be there that late, but would be happy to prep your cape for your trip home and to your taxidermist.

I will be above the Sunlight area for most of my hunting.

Wish you luck

Once you get your animal down, tagged, and photos taken, get to quartering it out. I suggest the gutless method. When you gut the animal first you run the risk of getting body fluids on the meat and cape. This is where you can literally start a bacterial breeding ground, and that will lead to a messed up cape and tainted meat. If it is 40 and below then you don't have to worry as much and could gut it and if there is a place to let the animal hang then all the better. I still almost always use the gutless method. I also keep a small tarp in my pack to lay down and lay meat on while getting it into game bags. The tarp is a big help especially if you are alone. It can also be used to create shade to put the meat under to help cool once it is in game bags. Antelope hair is different then any other critter out there and falls out easy, so pay attention when skinning and pull on the inside of the hide vs the fur on the outside. Antelope is my favorite meat with elk a close second. A lot of good advice here, and your first speed goat is always a trophy regardless of horn size.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to be hunting them in late October so I hope heat isn't an issue. I plan on treating them the same as a deer where I gut them immediately and then drag them to the truck or a near by tree to skin them and break them down. I usually skin deer capes by skinning them like a sock and pulling the inside of the skin to the back of the head so hopefully that will help cause I'd like to get one mounted because they are so cool looking.

Capes are hard to keep nice with antelope, that is true. Getting the meat cool as soon as possible is also best practice. Usually in Wyoming in September it will be warm, sunny, and antelope country is often limited for shade. As for judging antelope that is probably the hardest part of antelope hunting. I have killed a bunch, and helped buddies kill a bunch, and its still a challenge. Look for prongs that start above the ears, mass, and good length to prongs. If you want to learn from the masters look up pronghorn guide service and their videos. Best out there in my opinion. In the end though, its your tag just find one you are happy with and have fun.

Are they like deer where body size can vary quite a bit, or are they usually around the same size? Cause I want to get a nice animal I could care less what it scored cause as the saying goes you can't eat the horns and from what some guys have told me they are the best eating game

Never grab the cape near the neck and head. Hair will dislodge. Do not drag the animal except by the horns and lift up so the neck and head area do not drag or snag sagebrush. Ig you are skinning the animal, avoid the temptation to grab the hair and pull to speed getting the critter skinned. The delicate hair on a pronghorn neck is like no other animal I have skinned.

If you want to save the cape, you better skin it where it falls. If you think the hair comes off deer easily you haven't seen anything yet. The hair seems to come just looking at them. Good luck

We've hunted NM a couple of times in September. No problems taking care of meat and cape. We put heads in a cooler with dry ice and drove to Mississippi. The mounts turned out well. You might want to get one mounted in Wyoming since it is small enough to ship easily.

Yes they can vary in body size but not a great deal between mature animals. Just don't shoot an immature buck if possible. Look for horns at least twice as long as the ears.
Don't shoot a running antelope or one that has been running. The lactic acid buildup in the muscles does not do the meat well.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Mike Eastman's book is a really good book for a first time antelope hunter. I found it very helpful before my first hunt and still look at it once in awhile when it comes to judging horns.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back