PEAX Equipment

Looking for the right elk hunting pack. Suggestions

Elk hunting packs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If one do all pack is what you are looking for the Exo packs are probably the best rounded. Watch Randy's NM elk hunt and check out how Corey's Exo pack is always tight in daypack mode and Randy's metcalf is much bigger. I have a Metcalf, it is a great really heavy duty pack and is my choice for long heavy packouts, but I went and bought a Kuiu ultra this year to offset its drawbacks in weight and size when not doing multiday trips or the possibility of heavy loads is low. My hunting partner has an Exo and it is better as a do all pack at a very competitive weight.

I have a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Most packs feel about the same until you have more than 35# in them. Once you put more weight in there you will find out which ones cut it and which ones hurt. Honestly, I was sold on a KUIU until I had 60# in it and I felt like I was going to die because it hurt so bad. I have the Metcalf and when it has 60#, it simply feels heavier but still just as comfortable. The Metcalf is also big enough to be out in the woods for a week no problem. If you went really lightweight/creative/dehydrated your own food, you could stretch it to 10 days I believe (I haven't done this yet though:)).

Best of luck...Exo, MR, Kifaru and Stone Glacier are all top of the heap. When looking at those packs the most important thing is the way it fits your body and the overall size of the pack (which will determine how long you are able to stay with what you pack into the woods).

Last edited:
No stone in the poll? I've ran quiet a few eberlestocks and badlands packs and always thought they were the ticket if a guy can get over the bulky factor when day hunting or you offload your camp. Also tried a pack frame and stuff sack setup and nothing really came together well there when a guy was coming out heavy. I weighed the four options pretty heavy and in the end it came down to who has the best customer service and availability. (When I ordered my stone, exo didn't have anything in stock and I recently heard that mystery ranch isn't selling bags separate anymore) I ended up with a stone glacier 5100 and I now have 3 packs from them. They are fantastic! I recently purchased a 5900 on the new x curve and I can't wait for September to roll into town and really put her to use. I think that MR and kifaru and Kuiu all make decent setups for sure but, my two cents is the SG setups are tough to beat and their customer service.

Update, after much research I have ordered the EXO 5500 with all the bells and whistles. They are small US company that personally speak to there customers as a family member rather than a consumer. They will assist you in pack selection to help you for needs for today and the future. Great company. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Update, after much research I have ordered the EXO 5500 with all the bells and whistles. They are small US company that personally speak to there customers as a family member rather than a consumer. They will assist you in pack selection to help you for needs for today and the future. Great company. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

They offer a military discount. If you didn't get it, give them a call back and see if they will extend it.

I use an Exo 3500 for the last 3 seasons. Carried a lot of animals with it. You should be happy with 5500 as I wish I went a size bigger. Just did a 5 day trip into the Madison Range with mine and the extra room would have been handy.

Here's my experience.

Look at how those three are marketed:
Kuiu - Ultralight
Kifaru - Ultracomfort

That's pretty much my experience. If you just want a pack that's light to take your stuff in to camp & you're worried about weight over comfort, Kuiu is a great option. If your concern is meat hauling, I'd lean toward the Kifaru packs. I have not had a chance to test the MR packs....yet. But, I have put quite a few videos on youtube about the review of the Kuiu packs. I'll be putting more up about the kifaru pack soon.

Good Luck!

I have been using MR packs since the company started. All hunters have a bit different style of hunting that creates a different application for the gear they use. For me, if I could find a better all around elk hunting pack than the Mystery Ranch Metcalf, I would be using it.

I have been using MR packs since the company started. All hunters have a bit different style of hunting that creates a different application for the gear they use. For me, if I could find a better all around elk hunting pack than the Mystery Ranch Metcalf, I would be using it.

I'd say he's tested it, thoroughly too.

I agree, wholeheartedly, with his point about packs being tailored to different styles of hunting. Try them all (that you can get your hands on) and go with the one that fits the best and suits your needs the best. It's kinda like boots...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice Randy. I went with an Exo 5500. Steve from Exo hooked me up and threw in a military discount. Pretty happy with it so far. I have put about 40 miles on it so far scouting for my disabled Army buddies that are coming to hunt this year. We will see if I can get it bloody 3rd Season in Southern Colorado this year. I do still have my eye on the Metcalf though.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back