Horse Riding Vacation Suggestions?

jnagel32

My wife has never been out west and she loves to ride horses and I've just recently gotten into it and love it as well. I was thinking of taking her out west to see a different part of the country and to do something she loves next year. I have a feeling she would have the time of her life riding horses in the mountains out west. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to go? I've looked into stays at Dude ranches in WY, MT and CO but they are extremely expensive and I don't have that kind of cash to spend. I was wondering if anyone has stayed at a hotel or camped and then went to a ranch to ride for the day or a couple days? Any suggestions?

My daughter loves to ride horses and we have done it on several vacations. I would plan a trip to an area that you would like to see and stay in a hotel or cabin. Then just find a local riding stable and pay to do a day ride. That's what we've always done. There would be lots of opportunities in WY and MT in and around Yellowstone.

I know a bunch of outfitters for hunting, do camping trips in the summer. You might try looking there if you want to ride and camp. Depending on your experience you can rent horse and a do a DIT style trip. I know sombrero stables in Grand County, CO does 4-7 days for $525 per house and will deliver the horses to a trail-head for a fee.

If you just want to do a trail ride with a train of horses I would expect to be charged around $80 for a three hour ride.

I know the folks at paintbrush. They'd show you a good time fishing the lake plateau in the Beartooth.
Also, I believe Hells A Roaring in gardIner does trips immediately north of YNP.

if she hunts you could always find a place that rides to camp then rides from camp to different hunting areas

I have seen a few that will offer a discount if you book a hunt then the following year a pack trip is at a discounted rate, that is what I"m leaning towards

Awesome suggestions guys! This is exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. The Dude Ranch vacations I was looking at were $2500 a person, which is way to rich for my blood!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back