Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What is with catch and release?

The only reason you can keep a fish is because all the guides and their clients don't. If they did, the fishery would be a wreck.

So mull on that a little bit before you start bashing.

What you don't understand is the managers know that too. They do creel surveys and understand the proportion of anglers that are keeping fish. And during the hot summer many of those released fish die anyway.

Throughout the year catch and release mortality on trout in many areas is at least 20%.

Last edited:
I began to catch and release when I started reading all of the mercury warnings in idaho. Now I do it almost exclusively. I have three reasons 1. I'm too lazy to clean all of them. 2. I'm too tired after fishing and 3. I'd rather spend the time it takes to clean them fishing.

It is funny to read about a bunch of Consumptive fishermen criticizing and stereotyping C&r guys. For what? Criticizing and stereotyping?

I honestly don't even know if I remember how to filet a fish. hahaha I had a buddy that was a vegetarian and he mentioned to me his interest in learning to fly fish one time. I told him that I would take him someday but we never did get around to it. He was talking about even cutting the hook off the fly because he didn't want to harm the fish hahaha. Granted I've found myself fishing with a broken hook on several occasions but never intentionally. He has since come around on some of his beliefs and I believe that he will now eat wild game or locally sourced(humanely raised) meat.

I don't understand it much except that I'm not into criticizing how others hunt. To each his own as long as it's legal. The flip side is I certainly don't want anyone critiquing how I fish. Mostly trout gets made into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padaek heads, tails, everything except guts and I scrape the scales too. Never have not eaten a fish. Half the elk I eat is seasoned with padek.

I don't look down on keeping stockers from put and take watersheds. I don't mind people pulling out non-native fish.

But here in NM where our Gila and RG Cutthroats trout are incredibly scarce and protected in our Special Trout Waters, don't let me see you put a fish in the creel.

There's places that should be catch & release back into the water and places that are catch and release into hot oil. I feel wild trout in a lot of places need some protections. Last year I filleted 7000 crappie for clients and that was stopping the catching at 100-120 per party. That said, I would support a crappie limit on my reservoir but that battle has been fought over and over to no avail.

What you don't understand is the managers know that too. They do creel surveys and understand the proportion of anglers that are keeping fish. And during the hot summer many of those released fish die anyway.

Throughout the year catch and release mortality on trout in many areas is at least 20%.

I'd love to see a study showing that fly fishing guides kill 20% of the fish they release.

I still maintain that if every guided client wanted to keep their limit, you'd be buying fish at the grocery store.

I'd love to see a study showing that fly fishing guides kill 20% of the fish they release.

I still maintain that if every guided client wanted to keep their limit, you'd be buying fish at the grocery store.

I'll do some digging on the first thing.

As to the other part. I have no doubt. But that is already factored in when managers set limits. I couldn't care less if people choose to only catch and release. They can have at it. What I do care about is when I am judged and given grief about keeping fish myself in those same areas.

I agree with this comment.But no need for a study. Simply go fish the Upper Madison. Pretty hard pressed to count dead trout as a result of a catch and release fishery. Given the excessive pressure this famed river receives every year a 20% mortality would be pretty obvious.I think catch and release sustains the quality of this particular river. The interesting study for the Madison would be how many times a trout is caught and released.I have heard unsubstantiated info suggesting each trout is caught 5-6 times a year. My own experience after 30 + years of fishing this river is that i catch more fish with a worn groove in their mouth from repeated catching than I see dead fish in the river.
No problem with eating some,but not my thing.

Hooking Mortality of Cutthroat Trout in a Catch-and-Release Segment of the Yellowstone River, Yellowstone National Park Daniel J. Schill , J. S. Griffith & Robert E. Gresswell

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8659(1986)6<226:HMOCTI>2.0.CO;2

"The hooking mortality rate per single capture was 0.3%. In 1981, 3% of the estimated cutthroat trout population died after capture and release by anglers. Cutthroat trout in the study area were captured an average of 9.7 times during the study period in 1981."

Looks like my source is gonna face some questioning. Most of the articles in the review reference 4-5% mortality. With higher rates as water temps got higher. 8-16%. I apologize for the bad data.

Review of literature on catch-and-release mortality of trout

https://henrysfork.org/files/Rob%20Blog/C%26R%20mortality%20review.pdf

• Artificial baits and method of fishing were evaluated by Schisler and Bergersen (1996) to determine if active or passive angling with premolded, artificial scented baits resulted in the same mortalities as observed for traditional artificial flies and lures. The experiments took place at Gates Pond, a stream-fed pond in Rist Canyon near Fort Collins, Colorado. Gates Pond was stocked with 1200 hatchery-reared rainbow trout prior to the beginning of the experiments. Fish were landed using flies, artificial baits fished passively (ABP), and artificial baits fished actively (ABA).

o Mortality for fish caught using ABP averaged 32.1% ranging from 19 to 45% over five experiments performed at different water temperatures.
o For fish caught using ABA, mortality averaged 21.6% and ranged from 9% to 29%. o Mortality for fish caught using flies averaged 3.9% and ranged from 1% to 14%.
o Fish caught on artificial baits were more likely to be hooked in critical areas and thus more likely to die.
o Across the five experiments, less than 5% of fish caught on flies were critically hooked.
o For ABA, the range was 19-59% with an average of 45.7%, and the range was 70-86% for ABP with an average of 78.3%.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back