Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What is with catch and release?

Bukwild3

My last fishing post brought in a dynamic I did not understand. What is the idea of catching fish and not eating? Don't get me wrong in Louisiana some bass fisherman practice this, but it's only to gain advantage when fishing a tournament. Yes I understand the "if you let them go you can catch them another day" idea. Just seams weird that through my research on the forums, that keeping fish has some how started to be looked down on. Is the fisheries in the west that bad off or is this just another case like in the East where it's frowned upon for shooting a small deer?

It makes even less sense with the huge stocking programs in the west when the fish are meant to be caught and kept. Catch and release is a huge issue in the fly fishing community where the purists think that every fish should be released. I can see letting a huge trophy fish go to live another day, but obvious stockers are going in my cooler and over the coals wrapped in foil.

Last edited:
Simple. Fishing is fun. Cleaning and eating isn't appealing to everyone.

Steven Rinella has a podcast episode where he laments losing a big bass when he was a kid. His father tried to console him by telling him there were actually people will catch fish just to let them go. I wish I could remember which episode it was, it was a pretty funny story.

I don't mind the practice of it. I just dont see why someone would look down on someone else enjoying a renewable resource that the state gives you access to.

I get a bit tired of the whole thing. Here in the Bitterroot of Montana, most of the river pimps would like to hang a guy for keeping a fish. Stupid. mtmuley

It makes even less sense with the huge stocking programs in the west when the fish are meant to be caught and kept. Catch and release is a huge issue in the fly fishing community where the purists think that every fish should be released. I can see letting a huge trophy fish go to live another day, but obvious stockers are going in my cooler and over the coals wrapped in foil.

Fish and game stocks a couple of man made ponds in my town with "planters" and it always pisses me if when I take my kids there and see see all the dead trout floating along the edges. My feeling is if you fish a place like that you need to take anything you catch home with you.

Different set of values in different areas. In many places where trout fishing for wild trout in streams is the game, if everyone who caught a fish kept it the population would be seriously depleted. In other situations, it's a factor of wanting to catch a fish but not necessarily deal with cleaning and cooking it. I do both according to the values of the area and the whims of how I feel on the day I fish.

I'm guessing the elitist mentality of those who catch and release exclusively and hold themselves as superior to those who keep their fish is merely the human tendency towards snobbery in an attempt to boost their status and ego. It's manifested in many ways and most people exhibit some form of it. Designer camo vs. solids or walmart brand, Chevy vs. Ford. PC vs. Mac.

It takes a certain amount of security and confidence before people stop trying to impress others with the superiority of their experience and do what works for them and let others enjoy the outdoors in their preferred way.

Maybe this thread pertains more to river fishing, but I fish striped bass in Cape Cod and release more than I care to admit simply because I rarely catch one over the 28 inch minimum. I'll keep any that are legal.

I'm not against those who release, but I believe the statistics show that a decent percentage of them die after being released. Thinking this is somehow superior is foolish.

We start in at the each other's throats over clothing brands on this forum. Are you really surprised some will judge you for killing a fish?

I'd just do what you do and don't worry about the rest.

Different set of values in different areas. In many places where trout fishing for wild trout in streams is the game, if everyone who caught a fish kept it the population would be seriously depleted. In other situations, it's a factor of wanting to catch a fish but not necessarily deal with cleaning and cooking it. I do both according to the values of the area and the whims of how I feel on the day I fish.

I'm guessing the elitist mentality of those who catch and release exclusively and hold themselves as superior to those who keep their fish is merely the human tendency towards snobbery in an attempt to boost their status and ego. It's manifested in many ways and most people exhibit some form of it. Designer camo vs. solids or walmart brand, Chevy vs. Ford. PC vs. Mac.

It takes a certain amount of security and confidence before people stop trying to impress others with the superiority of their experience and do what works for them and let others enjoy the outdoors in their preferred way.
Doesnt the state regulate limits based on how the fishery is doing?

We start in at the each other's throats over clothing brands on this forum. Are you really surprised some will judge you for killing a fish?

I'd just do what you do and don't worry about the rest.

This and don't ask a question the gripe when you get answers you don't like.

Fish and game stocks a couple of man made ponds in my town with "planters" and it always pisses me if when I take my kids there and see see all the dead trout floating along the edges. My feeling is if you fish a place like that you need to take anything you catch home with you.

Same here...the biggest issue is those farm fed trout always seem to swallow the hook halfway to their tail. I end up keeping them even when I don't want to, because most will die anyway. I've heard that cutting the line and leaving the hook is ok and that they'll eventually pass the hook...I'd love to see some proof of that.

Doesnt the state regulate limits based on how the fishery is doing?

Yes. In some situations catch and release is required. In other situations fishermen do it voluntarily to avoid added regulation. I doubt it is the biggest reason why people catch and release though. I release most of the trout I catch. I don't enjoy eating a white meated river trout. If I catch that same trout in a lake that has freshwater shrimp, you can bet I'll keep every one till I reach the limit.

Attachments

• IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 523
I can't speak much about releasing trout as there are only 2 streams I fish "often" for trout. One is the Mad River in Ohio that is brown trout and the other is the streams of the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. I usually keep the rainbows I catch at the gorge, as long as it is legal. Most will die anyways when the summer heat raises the water temp too high. They are mostly stocked fish with few carry overs.

Musky, on the other hand, I release every one I catch. The state allows for 1/day but the streams I fish are some of the only natural reproduction streams for them in the state. It is mostly just for conservation of the species so that hopefully I can take my son there when he gets old enough and still have the same opportunity I have today.

I do both in the UK, stocked fish, yum yum, wild fish, a lot go back to the river, all my wild brown trout get returned to the river.
I fish mainly for migratory fish, i.e. Atlantic Salmon and Sea Trout (sea run brown trout) but they are in decline through many factors, the main being high sea drift nets.
A the end of the year i will take a few and get them smoked.
But the ones i return i take great care to ensure they survive once released, i do not just chuck them back, i hold them facing upstream until they can swim away without them going 'belly up' and i get a bit of a kick seeing it.
Cheers
Richard

Same here...the biggest issue is those farm fed trout always seem to swallow the hook halfway to their tail. I end up keeping them even when I don't want to, because most will die anyway. I've heard that cutting the line and leaving the hook is ok and that they'll eventually pass the hook...I'd love to see some proof of that.

We have red fish down here that often are found with soft plastics and hooks in them. They dont seem to be hurt in any way. I'm sure if they are filled and bleeding badly thats another story.

I do both in the UK, stocked fish, yum yum, wild fish, a lot go back to the river, all my wild brown trout get returned to the river.
I fish mainly for migratory fish, i.e. Atlantic Salmon and Sea Trout (sea run brown trout) but they are in decline through many factors, the main being high sea drift nets.
A the end of the year i will take a few and get them smoked.
But the ones i return i take great care to ensure they survive once released, i do not just chuck them back, i hold them facing upstream until they can swim away without them going 'belly up' and i get a bit of a kick seeing it.
Cheers
Richard

That's awesome. We have a spotted sea trout (speckled trout) that we catch and they are some of the best around. Ours are regulated but we can keep 25 per person a day. If you are ever in the US and get a chance try Specks and Reds in Louisiana. I have never fly fished but catching a Red fish on a spin cast is awesome. There are a number of guides that specialize in fly fishing here!

I get a bit tired of the whole thing. Here in the Bitterroot of Montana, most of the river pimps would like to hang a guy for keeping a fish. Stupid. mtmuley

I get some glaring stares from fly fishermen floating rivers when I catch a trout and release it into my cooler. Oh well.

To each their own. Depends on my mode, what I'm catching and where I'm fishing. The biggest fish usually go back as well as the smallest. Don't keep bass, would never cut the head of a small mouth or musky. Find my self keeping more fish when I'm with my kids then any other time. I do have a problem with game hogs that take more then they really need or can use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back