MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bighorn Basin 125 late

uncle sage

Well we drew. My old Pard can still do it with the best of them and i'll be along for the hunt and as much of what that entails as i can take. He's taken a dozen or so toad Muley Bucks from different States and i seem to always roll with the, "that's a nice one" kinda bucks. To say that i'm already wound up over this coming trip is a understatement.

Some of you may already know me as sageadvice on MMuleys. If so, you may know that some of the members there referred to me as uncle sage. Could be and often was called worse, many also might know that i have always been helpful with others in their hunts, when i could be, and gave a decent hunt report to those that may have helped me along in my own adventures. It goes both ways they say, i'm hoping to hear from members here about this unit and hunt. If you don't know the hunt unit well, maybe you can point me to someone who does. Thanks!

Joey

i'm hoping to hear from members here about this unit and hunt. Thanks! Joey

Bumped this up, gotta try again. My Pard bought a good sized wall tent, first time i'll have slept in one. That was a big question we had as he wanted to take his rig but he doesn't have a camper setup yet and apparently my well used pop-up cabover won't fit his truck so we were up in the air a bit only knowing for sure, that we were going.

So with that settled, the big question is where would be a nice place to setup the wall tent. I had good responses on the thread i posted about the connected 83 Antelope hunt, Thank You guys, but not so much as a peep here about the muley buck late 125 part of our trip. I can't see being set-up in a designated camping spot in town but i probably don't realize all that's to be considered so opinions welcome.

It's my last wy hunt, like to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Joey

There is a nice campground in Worland on the north side of the highway just as you go east out of town heading toward Ten Sleep. However, it's a long way to drive back and forth to unit 125 out west of there every day and it would be best to camp right in the unit in your wall tent. The unit is huge and most of the deer are on or very close to the private lands, especially along the river just south of hwy 431. There is a big WIHA area along there that I would certainly hunt, as I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen in Wyoming on it several years ago. There is also some decent public land up on the north end of the unit near the private land along a river that runs through the unit up there. I'd concentrate on the south and north parts of the unit because the center half is what I called moonscape with a very low deer population. IMHO the unit is way down from what it used to be quality wise because of it being touted on the net and if you see anything better than a 150" class buck I'd be filling my tag with him. Also, if you can't hunt the entire two week season, I'd hunt as late in it as you can to take advantage of the rut that will be picking up as each day goes by.

Top that is all welcome advice and it's now in the little book i've got going that we'll have based or at least consulted before making our final decisions before and during the hunt. Good stuff there, i Thank You!

Must say that most of the trips for muleys i've taken, were to not only keep hunting but to have a chance to hunt better country for better bucks than could be had close to home. I've always appreciated a buck taken no matter the size and give it the respect due it as a fearce opponent. Yet there has been a built-in drive to get a very top representative of the specie...i really would have loved to have taken a true monster, regardless of score, and though few guys i know hunted more or maybe even harder in better than average country, all those trips, i never did.

So you have to be still be happy to take a nice buck when it's time to do so. I got my wall in the shop and a couple boxes packed in with nice blackies and crosses. Guess i been blessed in tons of ways but that monster buck out there will slightly haunt me until my dying days. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if 4-5-6, of my best friends, guys i've hunted with, all had to go out and get their true dreamer buck. You should see some of these bucks...and then some of the huge muleys that my Uncle in the Rubies took, in the 70's n early 80's, some while i was with him. i'm the poor stepchild, poor me. lol

So wanting to finally get that dream monster buck most of us have in their minds, i passed the smaller bucks when there was a nice choice to be had given game, effort, and time. I've had more than a few of those kind of hunts, passed lots of bucks in my day. So yeah, i,ve taken a dozen or so nice bucks on last weekends sorta things but never found "the buck" that was freely mine to have a pop at. Never in my life did i ever even see him though i knew he probably was there, just didn't happen. Just to have a decent shot at him, see how that played out, that would have been nice. A formidable opponent a truly Giant Muley Buck is, indeed.

That said, two Wy trips ago i took a 170 type 4x4 up in H and then 6 years ago, i popped a 270WSM cap nicely in a 150+ type mature buck ahead of a big storm coming in, that was zone 87, a good but too highly touted for my agreement unit. Both those bucks, i was so happy with them, i knew what they were, said and done i rejoiced, to each to their own, those bucks felt real good in my hands. My buddy my ol pard, as usual, took one a bit bigger. Probably it's that Dude that i was with made that hunt, those hunts, many hunts. We made the most of our chances and had a blast together doing it. He just laughs with me. He knows my situation and can well sympathize, he doesn't in the least remind me of what he happens to have all DIY on 5-6 walls in his house. Can we cuss here? The P-rick, and i don't remind him of the days when he didn't know much other than he'd like to go deer huntin.

Well that's my ol Pard and together we're going after em again. Lord help a good buck if he gives either of us senior citizens a decent pop at him. We mean business! lol and i'm sure it's going to be a great trip no matter if we don't pop a cap, do shoot something to bring home, or just maybe get a couple nice ones. The meat of any taken critter is well cherished and is going to be very much appreciated stacked nicely in my freezer.

More info requested Please. Looks like that area over by Meeteetse might be right to catch Deer migrating into the area but that's just a guess and this evening there was some eye balling of all the drainage's just east of sales place, what that is i haven't a clue, a marked spot on G.Erth maps. Anybody been out that way? Thanks!

Last edited:
Never in my life did i ever even see him though i knew he probably was there, just didn't happen. Just to have a decent shot at him, see how that played out, that would have been nice. A formidable opponent a truly Giant Muley Buck is, indeed.!

Guys this trip is way too important to us for me not to try and do all i can so i bumped this thread up in hopes that maybe a knowledgeable Wyoming guy has a chance to know we're coming, maybe help if they are so inclined. The two of us will start lope hunting in 83 during the latter parts of Oct and then on to our 125 late season muley hunt starting Nov. 1st-15th

Thanks!!

Never hunted it but have definitely researched it before. As topgun said, there's a descent amount of info on the web. Good luck. Oh, I have found that taxidermist and game processors give good advise. They have a reason to give you good info.

VA, thanks, all good points. I know that i'm not a good digger but i have been looking for and reading a lot of posts and reports of both my hunt areas, a lot are past a bit old and few give the kind of info one might tell a good friend. I've found even less on this muley hunt 125. I know from experience that people help each other on their hunts even saying which landowners to talk to, which areas have potential but don't get hunted, maybe a little road off the beaten path that ends you up in great country or over a great early morning vantage point. I know people tell each other these things because i been doing that, helping guys for many years and happy to help. So the net, yeah i found some info, but i'm hoping to connect with maybe one or two guys out there that maybe live and seriously have hunted out of there or possibly a landowner that doesn't often but might give us a chance... I mean, who knows who might send a PM? Never know, these sites do often connect people.

Yea, on the taxi guys n skinners. they and some others are next on the list but i'm so excited to just be going and even though i'm newly at least semi-retired, seems lots to do, get done, and gotta get that started too. Some great advice, Thank You!.

Joey, I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you more information than what I did, but there are just not many deer in the entire middle part of the unit that is BLM and pretty desolate country. The unit was way overhyped for a number of years and that caused it to go way up in number of PPs to draw the tag. That's why there just isn't much information out there for 125 over the last several years because I'd bet that most that have gone out thinking they were going to see a lot of 180" bucks either ended up with a pisscutter or didn't fill their tags. All I can tell you is what I did already and that's to hunt that WIHA and surrounding area south of the highway along the river and also way up on the north end doing the same near the private lands that irrigate from the little water that is up in that northern part of the unit. My guess is that is also what the biologist will tell you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Joey, .. The unit was way overhyped for a number of years and that caused it to go way up in number of PPs to draw the tag. That's why there just isn't much information out there for 125 over the last several years because I'd bet that most that have gone out thinking they were going to see a lot of 180" bucks either ended up with a pisscutter or didn't fill their tags. All I can tell you is what I did already Good luck!

Top, no worries, you helped a bunch, said what you know, i can't ask a guy for more than that. My Thanks!

wytex, Thank you for that link and comments about where we can set that wall tent! My Pard spoke to a Biologist already and he left him somewhat encouraged. He said that it could definitely be a tuff hunt but also told him that he thought the trophy potential is there. We're just hoping to find it.lol

I think with the link, i might as well contact that and/or another biologist or two come the days i sit and ring up potential local knowledge. I've had quite a few out of state hunts where i ran into guys later, after the hunt was over, who said they wished i had gotten hold of them before i went. It just works out that way sometimes so i'm going to try and cover all the bases before this, my last outa state hunt.

Did i mention before that i want out of the big trip game? It's fine for guys that are still with a whole backbone that still works. Also the money. I've been saving already for months just for this one trip. It was my doing to want to go, i'm all-in on this adventure but for the same kind of money, i can make many shorter trips to some pretty neat places to hunt and fish right close to home near Lake Almanor up in NE Cali. We have lots of great folks around there too.

One thing i did notice before we applied to this area. Well first it looked like a area that we could use all our points on, 6 1/2 average between us, and still get drawn which was most important. I was not going to buy more points, i was not going to even apply again, done if we drew or not. But i also noticed, it's been some time ago so don't quote me, that about 400 locals applied for this area's 70 or so LE Resident tags. So maybe i was duped some but it appears that there is more than a few locals who have been duped as well. There's no worries and no matter, we're going and we're going to enjoy ourselves doing what we been doing together as good friends and ol pards, hunting and fishing together since 1970.. It's all good! Thanks guys!!

I just may keep this thread running right up to and through our hunt. Guys, if they care to, can contribute info or just wish us well as the hunt nears. PM's welcome too. It's all an adventure!

Hi Guys, gals included no slight intended. You know, i had a job as the maintenance supervisor at a very small town hospital and got called on the carpet and absolutely got my butt chewed complete with a fully documented disciplinary write-up and a threat of termination if i ever again refer to any nurse or female employee there as a "Gal". The statement i got in trouble for, "when will you gals be done in this area, i gotta get in and do a little touch-up painting?." Can you believe that? My Sister is a Gal for cris sakes.

So i mentioned above that i have a back that they say surgery is not a option and that is going to get worse. Short story is, i'm doing better. About 8-9 months ago, i put myself on a diet of healthier food, fewer calories, and more exercise. So far i've lost 70 pounds and i can still feel the weight going off with a couple months to go until these 2 wy hunts. My Dr now took me off all of the different meds, fer different things, none of them good. Right now it's all not so bad especially compared to what it was but i want to kick it up a notch without re-injuring myself to the point i can't hardly get outta bed and walk for a couple days, weeks of serious pain. Been there, it ain't fun.

I used to be the kind of guy that was one to stay in shape year around for deer hunting. Love to hunt muleys but there's nothing about muley buck that high hat's them much over chasing Blacktails every night a month before the season, the archery season, and then the full month and a half rifle season as well. Seemed i hunted, including scouting, those sneaky critters for better than three months every year, close to four...and that was before we'd go up north or any out of state hunts. It wasn't that hard for me to stay in shape, i enjoyed going out for long jogs and did them often.

I could probably jog a couple hundred yards now, walk for 15-20 minutes tops. It is what it is. One good thing, my Pard is still in excellent shape. It will be fun for me to help plan, follow his hunts from afar as i'll be dropping him to hunt places that i won't really expect him back that day. As long as i can get to a buck i take and get him cleaned, it's a Nov. hunt, my Pard can get him to the rig. That's a relief and if not for that, i couldn't do a hunt like this.

I have been antelope hunting in part of that unit for the past few days and haven't really seen much for mule deer only a few does and a small buck or two. The deer that i have seen have all been down in the fields. There are lots of walk in areas that are crop fields. Good luck

I have been antelope hunting in part of that unit for the past few days and haven't really seen much for mule deer only a few does and a small buck or two. The deer that i have seen have all been down in the fields. There are lots of walk in areas that are crop fields. Good luck

I didn't even mention those WIHAs to Joey that you're talking about, as they are all right along the eastern border of the unit near the Big Horn River and are so close on the south side of Worland that personally I don't call that hunting so close to town and the airport. However, because of the crop fields (lots of sugar beets) that you mentioned there are deer in those areas. I just wouldn't want to go there all the way from CA like Joey is doing and see buildings while I'm hunting. That's why I only mentioned the one WIHA along the highway on the south side of 125 that is many miles from town.

I deer hunted 125 about 7 or 8 years ago and only hunted the BLM land. I had a friend who lived in the area back then and knew the area well. We hunted 3 1/2 days before I saw a buck which was with 5 or 6 does in the North end of 125. I didn't hesitate to shoot him as he was a decent 4x4 and I was real tired of looking at the moonscape. I only hunted that area once so I really don't have much info only I feel it was over rated back then and have not applied since then.

Collector, and good luck to you and yours this year on your hunts! I've learned that even with all the warranted preparation, years of experience ,and practice with my shooting irons, i've found that being just a tiny bit lucky also can help tremendously! Sounds like i'm going to need all the luck we can get on this hunt.

BigBear450, Thanks for that report and if you might keep our late season deer hunt in mind while on your current hunts, we'd appreciate any further reports. I hope you find and get the one you're after! Though my Pard and i were never into hunting "town bucks", i think we'd be open to keeping a eye on any known group of doe unit wide just in the happenstance that a bruiser muley may show up overnight. If that were the case and it were completely legal to do so, i don't think either of us would hesitate.

Early on in my education of hunting out of state hunts for muleys, there was a friend of the family, a hard core hunting mentor that was 10-15 years older than the rest of our young group. He was always eager to talk hunting big bucks and a couple times traveled to Colorado with us back before when you could hunt muleys just about anywhere in the state with the same tag. His saying it was the first time that i heard it, "I'd shoot a Boone and Crockett buck in the Game Warden's back yard if given the chance." I'm glad none of us ever got put to that test. lol

Topgun, I'm glad that you have taken a interest in my and my ol Pard's last outa state hunt together. Thanks Again!

fulldraw, Though not highly encouraging, your and BB450's posts are exactly the kind of posts i was hoping to get more of. I don't blame you a bit for taking that first decent buck found. A guy does get tired of not seeing any bucks, especially when his expectations are so high and he's putting in the effort. We have been warned and are now better equipped to go into this hunt with our eyes wide open. Thanks!

These responses have all been great guys...and gals. I am humbled and thankful.

Are there whitetail mixed in with the muleys in this area in general? If we can't locate a couple shooter muley bucks during our two week hunt, i think by the last few days, we both would probably take a whitetail to bring home for the freezer. They are excellent fare on the dinner table, really good.

I can't believe all the stuff i'm taking on this trip and how long it took to get it all in the ol 82 Chevy 4x4 Pop-up Camper rig. I just finished loading up a few minutes ago with the goal of leaving here around 10 in the morning. The plan is to hunt for my buck Antelope in 83 until Nov 1st, plenty of time to look them over, because that's when both our Deer hunts start. If we don't find what we're looking for, i could be gone near a Month from today.

In years past, I flat had to quit 3 different BS jobs because they said that i was needed and couldn't go outa state. "Yeah? sorry bout that but told you of this hunt when i hired on, i'm going!". Now, this being retired thing i'm kinda new at, has it's advantages. I'll have Pic's and finally figure out how to post them here on my return. Thanks for all the help Folks. The PM's, messages here, phone calls, one guy even sent a map. Means a heck of a lot to me, it does.

Joey

Uncle Sage,

Any pics of the load out with the Old Chevy?
The idea of bugging out for near a month gives me some drive to retire ASAP.
Love to hear about your hunt and hunt along as well as see that wall tent all set up in the zone.

10Dogs

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back