Wy lopes 83

uncle sage

Hi Guys, new here but not new to posting on the Outdoor Forums. I want out of the points game for out of state hunts. For one, my body is all broken down with a severe bad back and knees, and for another, the money for such trips takes away from hunting and fishing that i can do almost in my backyard here in Lassen Co of NE Calif. So, i wanted to use all my Wy points for muleys and lopes that i had accumulated, use them this year, call it good, and make it my last out of state hunt. Looks like my plan might work out.

It took all my 6 points to draw unit 83. Other than the Indian Res. land that's in the southern part of the unit, i know little more than nothing about how many animals i might expect to see and if there is a decent chance to find a good lope on public land. I picked 83 because i thought i'd draw it with my points, barely did, and the fact that my old hunting pard from class of 72 in high school, we put in together on muleys and drew the 125 late hunt in November which is just north of the antelope unit 83.

I'd like to talk to those of you who know or have hunted these two units, here in the Forum, through PMs, or if you can see clear to helping over the phone, my number is 1-530-256-3191. Thanks!

Joey

Mt, thank you!

I had the ol 25-06 to the range this morning with that Doubletap 110gr Accubond factory ammo. I figure for factory stuff, Accubonds pushed 3250 fps...heap strong medicine! lol

Joey

You should be able to find a decent antelope buck in the northern 1/3 of 83. The later you can hunt deer during the 11/1-11/15 season the better you'll be to find the better bucks coming out of the woodwork for the rut. I would concentrate along Hwy 431 on the south end of the unit not that far from unit 83 along Gooseberry Creek. There is still a decent size WIHA along the south side of the Hwy. where I saw as good a mulie buck as I've ever seen anywhere out there. My buddy had the tag and was just getting ready to shoot him as he came out into the field and some idiot came down the fence line illegally driving a PU and scared him back into the thick cover. There are also some good spots to the far north in the unit that is BLM near private land and a creek that runs along east/west on the lower north side of the BLM, but I can't remember the name of the creek.

Thanks JohnCushman,

Seems we have a lot in common, there's way worse things to be hooked on!

I've had that 25-06 since 69' first year the Rem 700 brought it out in a factory cartridge. I paid for it by earning a nickle a bale, 100 bales to the load from the field to hand stacking our barns up to the rafters. There have been many other rifles along the way but for my last outa state trip, seems only appropriate to take my very first rifle.

Topgun, I was hoping that you would reply, i know that area in general is part of your stomping grounds. I'm making notes, value your opinion on this.

We plan to be there the whole season if need be, neither of us has a problem passing decent bucks and i myself have came home happy but empty because of waiting until the last day and not popping a cap.

We got a long ways to go until we leave around the 22-23 of Oct. keep me in mind if you would. Thanks!

My Savage loves Federal Fusions. I've got a buddy that's going to load some Nosler partitions for me. Hopefully he still has the recipe from doing them a few years back before I ran out. They were devastating on antelope out to 400 yards.

John, what a name for a rifle Co., "Savage"!!! Then most of them shoot lights out, that don't hurt either.lol

Partitions by Nosler are a for sure lock into the bullets Hall of Fame. But i really like what i get from the Accubonds on game animals. Mtmuley harped on me for years to give them a try, he was right!

Joey

Topgun, I was hoping that you would reply, i know that area in general is part of your stomping grounds. I'm making notes, value your opinion on this.

We plan to be there the whole season if need be, neither of us has a problem passing decent bucks and i myself have came home happy but empty because of waiting until the last day and not popping a cap.

We got a long ways to go until we leave around the 22-23 of Oct. keep me in mind if you would. Thanks!

I believe it was Fifteen Mile Creek that parallels BLM 1429 e/w up there.

Thanks Topgun, got it!

In looking at the whole unit on google earth, sure looks like a wasteland moonscape type of place so i imagine that we're not going to find lots of deer all over the place and water will be key. Another thing i noticed on G. Earth, all the rivers and streams appear like coffee with lots of cream which i hope is not the case because we both are crazy to fish as well as hunt.

Joey

John, what a name for a rifle Co., "Savage"!!! Then most of them shoot lights out, that don't hurt either.lol

Partitions by Nosler are a for sure lock into the bullets Hall of Fame. But i really like what i get from the Accubonds on game animals. Mtmuley harped on me for years to give them a try, he was right!

Joey

I found a box of partitions in a tote with all my brass :cool: Everything else is getting handloaded accubonds.

I found a box of partitions in a tote with all my brass :cool: Everything else is getting handloaded accubonds.

Hi John, there are many out there that will argue that any ol bullet will do and yes, all the various bullets do kill stuff,.. but to me, of all the expense and preparation in going out of state for game animals these days, shooting good bullets that are best designed for the job at hand, it's just not a place that i'm going to skimp on.

Happy hunting and thanks again for the nice welcome!

Guys, I have some experience hunting deer in region H and 87 in the Ferris range north of Rawlings, willing to help others if asked.

Thanks Topgun, got it!

In looking at the whole unit on google earth, sure looks like a wasteland moonscape type of place so i imagine that we're not going to find lots of deer all over the place and water will be key. Another thing i noticed on G. Earth, all the rivers and streams appear like coffee with lots of cream which i hope is not the case because we both are crazy to fish as well as hunt.

Joey

Moonscape is exactly how I always describe the land right on the north side of Hwy 431 as it is up and down with little foliage and quite the contrast to the south side of the highway along the creek and going south from there.

Last edited:
I can't help ya with your pronghorn or deer quests, but I can tell ya I had the best milkshake of my life in Thermopolis 25 years ago! No idea on the name of the little joint or if they're still open, but it was perfection in a cup.

If you strike out there, there are DQs down in Riverton or up in Cody. :p

Good luck on your adventure!!

Joey, I don't think we've ever met but I know of you and what I know is that you are a no bull, stand up kind of guy. I was the concrete contractor on the senior apartments just over the causeway back in 1983 and I think you we're on that job. I hope someone steps up to help you in antelope 83 and deer 125. I've hunted a unit close to 83 twice in recent years. I'll send you a PM with some general info and a possible contact in the area in a day or two.

steel, A hunt is made memorable because of so many different things, the total experience. Yes, a world beater milkshake can be one of those events. It's been a struggle but i've dropped 50-60 pounds in getting ready for these hunts. I'm still way heavier than what's good for me, just not carrying the weight as well as i've done most of my life. Shakes had to go but when in Thermopolis, i might have to try and find that little milkshake place. Thanks for the chuckle and well wishes!

" I hope someone steps up to help you in antelope 83 and deer 125.

Would you be "Murphy" by chance? If so, yes we have "talked over at MM a few times. In any event, Thank You much for the kind words and i'll look forward to your PM, any bits to help complete the pre-game puzzle that we all so much enjoy!

Last i hunted Wy lopes was just back before i earned my 6 points to secure this 83 tag. I then had a 63 buck tag, that was before the unit was split in two. My Pard and i had deer 87 tags too but i went back there early just to look over the lopes. I spent 4 full scouting days with my rifle empty and locked in its case back in the pop-up cabover i was carrying on my old chevy. I bet i saw and looked over a couple hundred bucks anyway, some of them were pretty decent, the season was on, but i didn't care to take my buck until my ol pard could be there and share in the hunt. Even after he showed, i still didn't take, what great fun we had, until the lope hunt was starting to interfere with our muley hunt. Never did see a true monster lope that trip, knowing it was time I ended up picking out and shooting a 13" lope with outstanding mass and very near 7" prongs, he pushed fractions short of 80 inches...out of a 13" lope, and i then knew i probably had passed up bigger!

As good of a hunt as i had in 63 that season and so many lopes to be found, it's a easier draw, takes less points, than this years hunt in 83. Why... or what does 83 might have that makes it take more points to draw?

My thanks to all who have responded so far. It's sure i'll have more questions, no doubt.

Joeyhttp://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/images/smilies/biggrin.png

Last i hunted Wy lopes was just back before i earned my 6 points to secure this 83 tag. I then had a 63 buck tag, that was before the unit was split in two. As good of a hunt as i had in 63 that season and so many lopes to be found, it's a easier draw, takes less points, than this years hunt in 83. Why... or what does 83 might have that makes it take more points to draw?

I talked to a guy who hunted 83 last season, said he'd contact me later this week with some good positive info. I bumped this up to make it easier for him or anybody else who might wish to add to the thread. Thanks Guys!

2 more boxes of that Doubletap 110 gr Accubond 25-06 ammo arrived safely today. Shortly i'll be to seeing just how well my rifle shoots them at 3-4-500 yds from prone rests over my daybag and measure just what those drops may be? At 100 and 200, i like what i'm seeing but i've cleanly taken a few animals out around 500 yds with both my 280AI and my 270WSM. If given the right opportunity and tough to get closer, i'd like to know i can count on the ol 25-06 to be able to reach out accurately that far and take care of business if need be. This 110 Auccubond ammo brings the 25-06 up to another level over most all other factory stuff.

500 yards is one heck of a long shot at a game animal! I don't take shooting at or possibly wounding a beautiful animal lightly. It's taken me a lifetime with many many dozens of fine animals taken at various distances and winning my share of the prizes at various rifle competitions for me to believe that i can take care of business that far away. I wish more guys out there would consider the responsibility we have, that we owe the animal, before we try to take it's life. Lots of practice with a good rifle and decent rangefinder, to find out and to know and remember ones own limitations, sure helps.

I talked to a guy who hunted 83 last season, said he'd contact me later this week with some good positive info. I bumped this up to make it easier for him or anybody else who might wish to add to the thread. Thanks Guys!

Some good news, a old on-line hunting buddy called telling me about his many hunts in that general area and particularly about his lope hunt right there in 83 just last year. He told me of a little access road that takes a guy into a area that is often overlooked and that doesn't get hunted much. He said that once he knew that it was all public ground, he took that access and very soon into it he had his glass on a booner type buck way off in the distance. Being sicker than a dog at the time, he took a "real nice" buck that was easier to end his hunt and beat feet back home to hopefully get well. He told me that he knows for sure that that buck didn't get taken last year.

How Nice was That? A guy never knows just how a hunt will turn out but it's great going in with a that access and area all scoped out courtesy of Google Earth. Thanks Bruce!

BTW, any questions of that particular spot will have to be referred back to him. A spot i find, be glad to share.

I'm just headed out on my evening bicycle ride, Townie 7sp, but have a quick question. I know my tag is good on public land. Is it good on the Private in 83 also. I figure so but know some doe tags, they aren't good for both. It's the Best time of year guys!

Back