2016 Tacoma Transmission Issues

WBouldin

Wondering if anyone else here is having issues with their 2016 Tacoma hunting for gears constantly. Incredibly annoying and am currently working with a case manager at corporate to figure out what my options are. The dealer techs have told me there is nothing else they can do to fix this issue eventhough its an issue most owners are experiencing. Toyota has been great in the past but this sure is a disappointment. There have been other threads on people looking for hunting rigs, STAY AWAY from the 2016 and 2017 Tacos (until they find a fix). On the dirt, its the best vehicle ive ever been in. On the pavement, its a very expensive headache.

Im assuming yours is automatic,,the dealer will probly tellya it is normal?probly something a aftermarket shift kit would fix,but dealer will not have a clue.at least that's what id think with a older transmission doing this.posibly could be a torque converter lock up issue your feeling also.may or may not be normal,im sure its annoying though.

There is a $200 shift kit everyone on the forums seems to think works great. Might buy it

My 2014 has no such issues. I would really expect Toyota to step up and make it right for you. They are normally top notch. Good luck!

The problems are with the 3rd generation tacomas (2015+). Toyota introduced a new 3.6 Atkinson Cycle engine with new transmission and there has been volumes blogged about on the issues with the truck. Tacoma world forum is a good one.

Good luck, I just signed the papers yesterday selling mine to a dealership in town. Mine was a 2016 TRD Offroad, and had all of the same issues that you'll see on other forums. Had the trans tsb flash done, and it didn't change a thing. I got to the point where I couldn't handle the constant shifting anymore and decided I had to get rid of it. I've only owned Toyota's, and have never had a negative experience until this truck.

My 3rd generation Tacoma will likely go to a new home o Saturday for all the same reasons. FYI the 2017 f150 with the 10 speed tranny feel like they do the same thing

My 3rd generation Tacoma will likely go to a new home o Saturday for all the same reasons. FYI the 2017 f150 with the 10 speed tranny feel like they do the same thing

That 10 speed is also in the new Camaro ZL-1. Some subtle differences I suspect. No complaints from the car guys. It was jointly developed by Ford and GM. Weird. mtmuley

That 10 speed is also in the new Camaro ZL-1. Some subtle differences I suspect. No complaints from the car guys. It was jointly developed by Ford and GM. Weird. mtmuley

Yeah that was an interesting thing I learned on my test drive. It skipped gears too which I used to do in my old manual transmission work truck

In the Camaro the auto is turning faster lap and quarter times than the manual. Sorry, off topic. mtmuley

What truck did you settle on that your trading in for?

I was just about set on getting into a 3rd gen tacoma, but I'm very hesitant now and think I'll probably wait til these issues are figured out. My sister bought one and she loves it but she is not very particular about such things. I'll have to see if I can take hers for week or something. May just try to get a 2015 with low miles. We shall see. Bummer these issues aren't ironed out.

Looking strongly at the 2017 F150 but having troubles finding the right combo. Leery of the ecoboost still

So you have concerns about the engine and tranny in the Ford, but you are considering the truck anyway? mtmuley

The concern is the 10 speed transmission (not available for the motor I'm looking for) not the 6speed. I'm not sure about the ecoboost and they still make the v8 though often with in stock vehicles stuff I don't want/need so I'm still looking.

Back to the topic unless you're a car dealer then sell me a rig you think I want

Last edited:
Haven't heard many good things on the 2016+ tacos. I couldn't stand my 2010 trd's brake pedal feel. Drove me nuts. It's a shame, between the frames, flat rear leafs, 3.6 v6, and now trans issues makes you wonder what happened.

I'll stick with my frontier.

The concern is the 10 speed transmission (not available for the motor I'm looking for) not the 6speed. I'm not sure about the ecoboost and they still make the v8 though often with in stock vehicles stuff I don't want/need so I'm still looking.

Back to the topic unless you're a car dealer then sell me a rig you think I want

If I were looking for a Tacoma sized rig, I'd look really hard at the new Colorado/Canyon ZR2's. In a full size 1/2 ton, a GMC with the 6.2. Just not a Ford, Dodge or foreign guy. According to tests and reviews, that ZR2 is one Hell of a truck. mtmuley

Looking strongly at the 2017 F150 but having troubles finding the right combo. Leery of the ecoboost still

Be careful if that eco boost motor. The mileage is horrendous when towing anything on flat ground that we have here in the South East. I couldn't imagine what it would be like through mountains and hills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back