PEAX Equipment

Trailheads?

Wheaty17

If a marked trailhead originates on private land and then enters to public, is it still trespassing to hike on the portion that's private on the way to the public? One of the areas I'm heading to in MT has what looks to be this scenario.

Yep. Call the ranger district office and ask them if there is an easement to the trailhead.

The question posed mentions "a marked trailhead". Marked how? Around here, we have trails that have easements through private lands, and at the trailhead, there are often forest service signs, the trail number, and a designation of what kind of travel is allowed on the particular trail. Lacking that, perhaps it's not an official trailhead, and you would be trespassing?

The question posed mentions "a marked trailhead". Marked how? Around here, we have trails that have easements through private lands, and at the trailhead, there are often forest service signs, the trail number, and a designation of what kind of travel is allowed on the particular trail. Lacking that, perhaps it's not an official trailhead, and you would be trespassing?

Thanks. There are 2 trailheads in the unit I'm looking into that both look to originate on private but I have to "assume" they have easements. Both of them are listed on GoHunt as points of access to enter the unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back