Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do you hunt for small game and big game at the same time?

carljohnson

Last year I was elk hunting and carried a .22 rifle on occasion for a rabbit or two. Does anyone else shoot small game when you're out for big game? If so, what do you carry for them?

I never carry an extra gun hunting unless it is small game. Then a rifle and a handgun, either a 22 or my 32 long. How do you carry a rifle for small game and one for big game at the same time?

Depends on situation. I might take a shotgun for sage grouse when chasing antelope. If archery, I generally have an arrow or two for small game. I don't take a 22 with me.

i shoot 90 gr tnt for small game n carry 125 gr partitions just in case the big ones join the party

I generally take a small game arrow when bowhunting elk. Elk and grouse, you seldom find one without the other. And I've shot a few rabbits and a squirrel during bow season too.

A couple of grouse in your pack can make for a good consolation prize when the elk are quiet.

Depends on if the area has lots of pressure, if so then no way I'd shoot small game while elk hunting. It just lets the elk know you're in the area with a gun.
Archery hunting , yes I'm flinging arrows at grouse and barking squirrels.
I've taken grouse with my elk rifle, head shots at close range, then crested a rise to find animals staring our direction and headed out of the country. Subsonics might be ok but in areas with lots of hunting pressure I wouldn't do it.

I've been known to take out a noisy squirrel or two while bowhunting but never had a dedicated second weapon for it.

I've hunted deer, ducks, and pheasant on the same hunt and just switched out shells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back