Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7mm-08 favorites

I have a tikka in 7-08.

My go to fallow load is a 120gr nosler balistic tip with from memory 44gr of adi 2208. It works rather well on them and knocks over pigs pretty good to. I shot a red hind with last week and she made it 20 meters before she piled up. I could tell from the exit that the jacket had seperated wich is common if i hit heavy bone.

I have also ran 140gr barnes tsx and dropped red stags and hinds with it and it also works well on fallow.

Next season im going to try the 140gr woodleigh's as i would prefer to run a bonded bullet for deer.

Barnes TTSX 120 and Nosler Accubond 140 have both been very impressive... Working up some different recipes now but the Superformance powder and the varget and RL 15 have all been easy to load and very accurate so far

I'm blessed with a long magazine and long throat on my Stevens200, 7mm-08AI.
I'm loading 140gr Ballistic Tips out to almost 2.9". That over a load of RL17 gives me 2916fps over the chrono. Out of a 22" barrel.

I used just about the same combo for my first elk season...I just used a 140 Barnes TTSX with FPS in the 2877 to 2900 range out of a 22" Barrel(This is almost Max pressure as predicted by QuickLoad...I worked up this load in .5 grain increments then backed down a .25grns for final load). I Chrono all work ups....don't trust what the manuals tell you FPS should be, they are for reference only. Just noticed your chambering...My chambering isn't an Ackley Improved.

Load result real world?...Elk in the Freezer!

I used just about the same combo for my first elk season...I just used a 140 Barnes TTSX with FPS in the 2877 to 2900 range out of a 22" Barrel(This is almost Max pressure as predicted by QuickLoad...I worked up this load in .5 grain increments then backed down a .25grns for final load). I Chrono all work ups....don't trust what the manuals tell you FPS should be, they are for reference only. Just noticed your chambering...My chambering isn't an Ackley Improved.

Load result real world?...Elk in the Freezer!

That's speedy. What powder?

RL-17. This is a compressed load. Work up accordingly, watch for signs of pressure and be safe.

James Waggoner

Cool. I actually have a ladder test loaded up of RL 17 and 145 grain LRX's. Once deer season is over here, I'm going to give it a try. Hoping my rifle likes it as that would be one versatile round!

For me and the 7x57 it was the 154gr Hornady RN. I got started using that bullet because I coulddn't get anything else to shoot well in my old Ruger M77, it was truly an eye opening experience!

Same gun, same bullet for me! And Hornady discontinued the 154 RN so I'm down to less than 25 ;(

I shoot everything from antelope to moose with my 7mm-08 loaded with Ramshot Big Game and 140 grain NABs. Velocity out of my 22 inch barrel is a touch over 2800 fps and the bullet performance has been great so far. Took 2 antelope, 1 deer, and 1 elk with it this year with no complaints. Long live the 7mm-08!

I've used the 140g AB on elk. This year I took a moose with a 150g partition, pushed with 43.7g of H414. I haven't chronographed this load, but I suspect it's pretty humble in the velocity department. For all-around hunting I might be tempted to try the Hornady 150g ELD-X or the 150g Nosler LRAccubond.

Well, just got home. Shot large doe 413 yards. 7mm-08 AI 140gr Berger VLD hunting. I used a different powder. Alliant Power Pro 2000. Velocities over chrony were in the 2830 fps range. ES 6 DS 2...

Got set up with improvised field rest. One shot. Doe made it 20 yards before expiring.
Looked like i shot a can of red paint. Only found bullet sized entry wound. No exit wound.

Chest cavity full of blood. Heart, lungs pulverized.

I give a big thumbs up to Berger.

Had i needed a follow up shot for any reason the next 2 rounds in the mag were 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Update...

After hanging, we (my neighbor and I) found that I had just hit the back part of the front leg, breaking the bone. We recovered bullet jacket under hide on opposite side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back