Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New bow selection advice

bigonbama

Hey Everybody,

I would like some advice on the best archery setups for under $1000. What arrows, sights, quiver, etc. the board would recommend as well?

Thanks so much in advance.

No matter what any of us shoot or like or recommend from being fanboys, YOU have to shoot a variety of bows and see which one shoots the best for YOU. Bows are rather subjective to the individual. Different riser and limb configurations, brace heights, arrow combinations, broadhead choices, weights of the bow itself. There are so many variables that will only work for you with your shooting style. I shot a Hoyt for a while, then a mathews, then an Elite, and now a PSE. I liked all of the bows I owned, but I decided I liked the PSE in the end for fit and function and speed. I would recommend any of the bows I've ever owned, but in the end, it's what works for you. Shoot as many bows as you can of different brands and models to see what you like and what shoots well for you.

Exactly as The Cush said. Each part of your archery set-up needs to work for you.

Yup and I am shooting Bowtech now so I will ad them to the list. QAD arrow rest are great. Sights, quivers and other accessories are personal choice, I want tough and simple and that equals reliable.

What cush said as far as the bow goes, I would recommend either ripcord or qad for a rest though and a tight spot quiver.

For a total setup for under $1000, your best bet may be to look for a used bow in good condition, whatever make and model you decide on. I frequently see newer used bows in good condition for sale at local pro shops.

In the compound realm I would reiterate what John said. So many companies make awesome bows and most all will put meat in the freezer. If i were in the market for a bow of anykind, I would look for a used bow at a shop or on a forum that has been well taken care of and meets your needs. You can get an awesome bow, then have some money left over for misc during the season. If you need help where you can find a great selection of used bows or want to talk about it shoot me a PM.

On the other hand...Go traditional!
Howard Hill Big 5, 1 dz cedar shafts, 175grn Zwickey broad heads!

Bowtech has several ready to shoot setups for under 1000..

Hoyt, PSE, Bear, Diamond, Mission/Mathews...just about all of the major brands have set up packages. You could even look into the Mission lines, the Craze and Riots have a wide range of draw weights and lengths that will grow as your ability does. PSE and Hoyt both have a similar bow. I believe Diamond and Bear do as well. They are definitely not toy kid's bows. My wife's PSE Stinger has an IBO over 300 FPS. They are also light on your wallet too. If you decide to upgrade in the future, keep it as a backup bow once you have a foot in the door into archery and know what you like and don't like. I bought my new PSE as a package with a sight and rest and quiver. I'm selling my Elite to get a Stinger for a backup.

Last edited:
Once you get to that price point everything is about the same as far as what's "good". Is a Ford, Dodge, Chevy, or GMC truck better than the other? Really depends on who you ask. Its all personal preference.

Personally, I'm an elite guy. I bought my first elite after someone decided to break into my truck and steal all my stuff. Roughly 2,000 bucks. A friend of mine had one he couldnt shoot because he was "sponsored" by someone else. I liked it, and for 200 bucks...sold. Elite has one hell of a warranty that is transferable. Say something happens while youre on a hunt... you call them up, tell them your specs and they overnight you a bow ready to go, just need to sight in free of charge. Just send it back when youre done. That's phenomenal customer service. Plus, they are some of the smoothest bows out there, but they do run heavy.

My set up is an elite impulse 31 with a qad rest and tight spot quiver. I like a 5 pin .010 site. Larger pins blur then animal at long distance, and I dont trust myself with a single pin slider. If you're new to archery I'd see what a local shop has for trade ins. Arrows are a lot like bows. Some guys want the fastest thing out there. Personally, IMO speed magnifies flaws. I want a heavier arrow that will carry momentum. Speed means little to me. As long as the arrow is spined properly, "it will kill". Set-up, tuning, and shooting form means way more than equipment.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back