Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Tikka t3 in .270, what should I feed her?

Bigdonnie, what did you find works best in yours? I never found any factory ammo that shot better than MOA (at best), I was reloading but ran into the same problems, and now I just don't have the time to commit to continuing to explore more handload recipes.

Bigdonnie, what did you find works best in yours? I never found any factory ammo that shot better than MOA (at best), I was reloading but ran into the same problems, and now I just don't have the time to commit to continuing to explore more handload recipes.

Edit: I forgot, some T3's are not fully free-floated and some folks have had good luck with removing the barrel contact that is built into some of the stocks. FYI.

My T3 270win was super picky about anything I fed it, especially in 140gr. Eventually I tried 130gr Sierra Game king boattails and it shot those really well, well under MOA with a few different powder chargers.

The 130gr Gamekings aren't really build for larger game (elk), and wanting a backup elk rifle I swapped to 130gr Accubonds. It took a quite a bit of load work, and eventually seating the bullet out to the max the mag would allow, but now the Accubonds shoot just under MOA now if I do my part.

I'm actually pondering re-opening the can-o-worms and might try some 150gr Partitions, Sierra Game Kings (have a thicker build than the 130's) or Speer Grandslams this next year to see if I can repeat the 130gr Sierra performance.

My T3 Lite .270 will consistently shoot Hornady American Whitetail 130 grn Interlock, Winchester 130 grn Ballistic Sivertip, Hornday 130 SST Superformance, and Remington 130 grn Corelokt all 1" or less for 3 shots at 100 yds. with the American Whitetail being the smallest. I've killed deer and antelope with the American Whitetail, and deer with the Ballistic Silvertip and Corelokt.

Hornady American Whitetail. Its sub MOA in my wife's .270. We've shot a bunch of deer with those bullets in various calibers. It's very good stuff. If I didn't handload I'd use that or Federal Fusions.

Hornady American Whitetail. Its sub MOA in my wife's .270. We've shot a bunch of deer with those bullets in various calibers. It's very good stuff. If I didn't handload I'd use that or Federal Fusions.

So has anyone ever taken factory loaded ammo and partially pulled the bullet and re-seated it to just touch or nearly touch the lands and get it to shoot better?

I'm sure you have heard this over and over, but every gun shoot different. I have the same gun and caliber that you have. I tried 130 gr SST, 130 gr American Whitetail, 130 gr Core Lokts, and 130 gr Fusions. The best group was with the American Whitetails with an average of 0.6 inch 3 shot group. Went three different times to the range thinking I was crazy. American whitetail out of my gun is phenomenal. I went out and bought 4 more boxes with same serial number.

I have this same gun. I get 3/4 groups all day every day with140 or 130 Accubonds. Have shoots antelope a deer with of perfect performance.

I would buy 3 boxes.
Hornady precision hunter with eld-x bullet
Nosler accubond trophy grade ammo
Barnes ttsx (that bullet can be found in some other companies boxes as well)
Find out which shoots best and roll with it, those will give you different weights and will show you what your gun likes. All will perform great

Back