Yeti GOBOX Collection

New Tikka t3 in .270, what should I feed her?

bigdonniebrasco

I have performed searches on this forum and gotten a few ideas, but it never hurts to ask again.

I just got a new Tikka t3 lite in .270 WIN, and topped it with a Leupold vx 3i 3.5-10x40 with Talley one piece rings.

I don't reload, so I would be interested in what you all have had good and bad experience with regarding factory ammo.

I know not all tikka .270's will behave the same, I am jus tlooking to narrow it down to a few options considering "ammo ain't cheap" and I already blew my wad on the rifle and scope :p

I will likely be using this rig for pronghorn and whitetail so I was thinking 130gr, but I know ZIPPO about guns and ammo.

Thanks a lot!
Don

My son uses 140 Accubonds and 130 Tipped Triple Shocks from his 270 WSM for deer, hogs, and elk. Sent you a pm.

Try the Hornady 130gr SSTs, I've shot 2 whitetails with the 140 SST out of my 270 and both dropped like they'd been hit by lightning. The SST is in my experience the best deer bullet out there, just try not to hit bone or you'll have a lot of blood shot meat

My son's T3 has shot everything we've put into it sub moa. I'd pick the bullet you want for your application and price range.

Hard to beat Nosler Partitions. They are my tikka .300wm favorite meal.

I reload but I've found the same powder and charge give me the same POI with the 140gr Nosler Accubond(my elk load) and the 140gr Hornady SST(my deer load). Both are sub MOA

would you say that you recommend these for performance on game, AND consistent accuracy?

All mentioned so far should shoot well from your gun. All should perform well on deer and antelope as you mentioned. If you end up hunting elk I would go with the TTSX, Partition or Accubond over the SST. They are just tougher bullets that will hold together better on a large animal.

Not to be trite, but pick what shoots best. I can't imagine too many hunting bullets from 130gr-150gr are going to be a mistake on pronghorn and whitetails. Buy 2-4 different makes/models of 130gr ammo. Shoot them round robin. Which ever shoots the best, buy lots more of those and practice.

I've read/heard/had great luck with Federal Fusions for factory ammo.

I've used .270 on many deer and elk. Never shot an antelope with it. I've been using the federal 130 grain trophy bonded tip for a number of years. In my gun these rounds are very accurate and work great on deer & elk. Before trophy bonded tips I used fail safes which I still complain they quit making. That was a great bullet.

Not to be trite, but pick what shoots best. I can't imagine too many hunting bullets from 130gr-150gr are going to be a mistake on pronghorn and whitetails. Buy 2-4 different makes/models of 130gr ammo. Shoot them round robin. Which ever shoots the best, buy lots more of those and practice.

I've read/heard/had great luck with Federal Fusions for factory ammo.

I understand exactly what you're saying! I should have posed my question a little more clearly, but I think I did get GREAT answers anyway!

I will do just as you said (pick what shoots best), but I wasn't clear with my question initially.

I meant to ask "from an ACCURACY standpoint, what factory rounds have you all had good/bad luck with". Then the plan was to take this input and buy a few different boxes instead of 10 :)

I truly appreciate all the input, ... now off to get my scope mounted and buy some rounds!

Thanks again.

Everything I've shot using Fusions has been amazing. They are nicely priced and kill well and are accurate. Since I have a buddy that reloads for me, I'm making the change to handloaded accubonds for everything.

I've had the best luck with Winchester Supreme Accubond CT and regular old 130gr Remington Corelocts

I get the best groups from my Tikka 270 when shooting the Federal Fusions in 130 grains. From the standpoint of putting deer size game down, I really like the Federal Sierra Game King in 130 grains.

140 grain Accubonds, I have the same gun, super accurate, and deadly with those accubonds. Nosler used to offer it in their custom ammo offering. May give them a call...

I have a T3X Superlight .270 topped with the Vx3i 3.5x10 through which I've shot 130gr blue box Federals, 140gr Remington Core Lokts, 150 gr Fed Fusions, and Hornady 143 gr Eldx. Fusion is the best but nothing shoots under about 1.5 inch. Cold bore shot is also consistently low,not enough to matter at 100 but significant at 300. I'm going to reloads. Fortunately I have two very good shooters in an Abolt and a Win Featherweight.

With all I've read about Tikka, I'm a little bummed
HD

My Tikka .270 win likes Federal Premium 130 partitions and 150 gr partitions and it also likes Hornady Interlock 140GR bullets.

I have performed searches on this forum and gotten a few ideas, but it never hurts to ask again.

I just got a new Tikka t3 lite in .270 WIN, and topped it with a Leupold vx 3i 3.5-10x40 with Talley one piece rings.

I don't reload, so I would be interested in what you all have had good and bad experience with regarding factory ammo.

I know not all tikka .270's will behave the same, I am jus tlooking to narrow it down to a few options considering "ammo ain't cheap" and I already blew my wad on the rifle and scope :p

I will likely be using this rig for pronghorn and whitetail so I was thinking 130gr, but I know ZIPPO about guns and ammo.

Thanks a lot!
Don

Blue box Federals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back