Bluetooth Knock

I don't know if this would pass the test in MT or not. I'd be interested to see. I don't know how much more it would help than a lighted nock.

It looks like an expensive way to find a $12 arrow. The range would be limiting for finding an animal but it could help in some situations.

This kind of technology is really neat. I don't think I would ever use something like this as I highly value learning proper tracking skills, being attentive before and after a shot, and one of the reasons I go hunting is to leave technology and the digitized work behind for a bit.

So now with a Bluetooth nock we won't be wanting pass throughs? Not legal in my state and not something I'd want to use anyways.

I listened to a gritty bowman podcast where they talked about these the company also offers a little box that you can put on your tree stand, back pack, blind whatever you want to find. I think it would be handy when i'm trying to find my stand in the dark at 4 or 5 am. The nocks I like the idea of being able to find the arrow so I can see if it looks like a good shot and if the arrow did stay in the animal I could see it being handy if there is not a good blood trail. If I shoot an animal I want to find it not have it go to waste. Not sure I would want to use the nocks but the idea is interesting and they aren't a sure thing if they do stay in the animal the range the nocks are good for is only about 100 yards its not like a gps signal saying walk 1 mile to your destination.
Also i'm new to this forum and so far i've really enjoyed it seems like alot of great info here.

Cool, now I can take those 100 yard shots at monster bulls. If I miss I can still find my arrow. If gut shoot it, I can wait a few days and then salvage the antlers.

If I told you I had an idea that would allow you to find your arrow more easily and help you recover more animals, would you use it? That is what I took away from the creator of this tech from his appearance on Gritty Bowmen. It can't affect the shot or its outcome. It simply allows you to find an arrow if you get close enough to it. Kinda like a lighted nock....

The idea that it will change someone's hunting behavior is ignorant. If someone is going to somehow use a device to break laws, they will do it no matter what tech is available.

While the theoretical range of bluetooth may be 100 yards, I can tell you from practical experience in the classroom that it can be sketchy at 60 ft. my guess is that a lighted nock is going to be more effective.

I hope for pass throughs. I can see a lighted nock a few hundred yards away. Bluetooth technology isn't where it needs to be for it to be worthwhile for me. It is interesting. I have blue tooth headphones. Not cheap ones either. My music will crackle every once in a while with my phone in my pocket.

The one thing I like with a lighted nock is it helps me follow through with the shot. It's easier to track the arrow in flight and know instantly whether it hit where you wanted. On a 50 yard shot, sometimes it's tough.

Just so people understand, the knock is lighted also. Comparing the bluetooth quality for music use isn't quite apples to apples. Its a "ping". It doesn't have to be a perfect signal for transferring data. Its more a of signal strength indicator. The creator described it as a hot/cold indicator based on the signal strength.

I've shot a lot of deer in marsh and swamps where the grass is 6-10' tall, and it stands on top of a foot of soupy mud. Finding an arrow in that is extremely difficult, lighted nock or not. I used a metal detector to find my arrows on several occasions. A Bluetooth ping would have been awesome. Like others have already said, if this changes your style of hunting or shot selection, you need to re-evaluate what you're doing out there.

To answer the OP's questions, yes I think it should be legal, and yes it "could" help you recover an animal. It could be the tiny breadcrumb which helps you pick up the track, or a spot of blood, or the animal itself, but it won't help you put the arrow into the boiler room of an animal more than practice and understanding your ability to make the shot.

All my arrows have either passed through or have broken off after the animal has run off after the shot, so i don't see the point of the bluetooth nock. Lighted nocks are good enough

I have a feature on my Garmin Fenix 5 that let's me find my phone via bluetooth if I've lost it. The feature is garbage, and I doubt that anything they've crammed into a nock is going to work much better. By the time a BT signal is going to give you a good indication, you will be well within eyesight anyway.

I understand the arguments for this and I hate losing arrows as much as the next guy, but when I go into the woods I want an escape from technology. From a legality stand point I don't think this particular devise would help you recover an animal you wouldn't otherwise be able to find... I mean 100 yards isn't that far, that being said with some modifications and improvements I could easily see this device having a range of a mile which gets completely unethical in my book. At that point you could put the device right behind the broadhead and start taking 150+ yard shots just hoping to hit the animal so you could follow it on your phone until you got closer. People could essentially tag and pursue animals.

In my opinion like drones this is probably something states should get out ahead of and ban for hunting so that it just isn't a issue down the road.

NM we already have that technology... http://www.game-vector.com/

Last edited:
I understand the arguments for this and I hate losing arrows as much as the next guy, but when I go into the woods I want an escape from technology. From a legality stand point I don't think this particular devise would help you recover an animal you wouldn't otherwise be able to find... I mean 100 yards isn't that far, that being said with some modifications and improvements I could easily see this device having a range of a mile which gets completely unethical in my book. At that point you could put the device right behind the broadhead and start taking 150+ yard shots just hoping to hit the animal so you could follow it on your phone until you got closer. People could essentially tag and pursue animals.

In my opinion like drones this is probably something states should get out ahead of and ban for hunting so that it just isn't a issue down the road.

NM we already have that technology... http://www.game-vector.com/

Now that is just wrong. Email sent there way because I'd like their response to some of those questions.

Last edited:
If I told you I had an idea that would allow you to find your arrow more easily and help you recover more animals, would you use it? That is what I took away from the creator of this tech from his appearance on Gritty Bowmen. It can't affect the shot or its outcome. It simply allows you to find an arrow if you get close enough to it. Kinda like a lighted nock....

The idea that it will change someone's hunting behavior is ignorant. If someone is going to somehow use a device to break laws, they will do it no matter what tech is available.

The idea that it won't change a certain percentage of people's hunting behavior is naive.

The idea that it won't change a certain percentage of people's hunting behavior is naive.

This is true, but not a valid argument. If this were the case, nothing would be legal. The bluetooth knock is no different in any way than a lighted nock until the animal runs off and you cannot find it. Then and only then, you have the opportunity to find your arrow, maybe.

If a person changes how they hunt because they believe this knock will somehow result in more animals killed, they would be basing their belief in a false pretense. The knock has no effect on the shot or the lethality of the shot. Taking a bad shot is still taking a bad shot, no matter how smart or dumb your knock is.

Far more people have taken farther shots and become more unethical shooters due to slider sights that have sight tapes set to distances a person has never practiced. Thankfully this world has sportsmen who worry about such things. Spend a few days at the bow range in the two weeks leading up to season and you'll see the animals on the mountain have more to fear from the average archer than they do from a techy guy who thinks trying a BT knock would be a cool way to hopefully recover his arrows and possibly have a better chance of recovering an arrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back