wyoming non-resident,general elk units???what to pick ?

Honestly,there's awesome elk hunting in all the general units.Pick a unit and get some topos out and look for some nice little hell holes.I looked at unit 67 before and think it's an excellent unit to kill an elk.I get close to wilderness boundary there and just hunt.I've had no problem finding elk in any unit I've been in.Know what elk like,then find it on a topo and u can bet there will be elk there.It's really not any harder then that so don't overtone things.Don't put all your eggs in one basket either,ex.burns.Some burns are great and some terrible.Have a plan A,B,C and D.With a few spots picked out close to each other,but far enough that you need to move camp for,you will do just fine

Dan kirkpatrick, much of the information you're looking for is available out there. The fire that was is 68 and 83 was called the Lava Mountain fire. There was also another big fire that was in the Jackson areas, I think it was in 89. I don't remember the name of that one, but you could look up the fires from 2016.

As far as which zones are best. They are general zones, they are managed for opportunity and it only takes 1-2 points to draw that general tag so someone who hunted in the last year or two is likely to draw again soon so info may be tough to come by. I hunted the general tag last year and our original plan was to hunt 81 and 83. We spent 10 days in september hunting through spring summer and winter weather all in the same week. Also remember that deer hunters will also be afield. We did not not the regular rifle opener, but the places we were in were a zoo the two days leading up to rifle opener. ATV after ATV running the roads and trails, RV's everywhere. General tag will mean a lot of people.

That all being said, we located elk in a different zone later in the season. We watched local after local drive the roads with truck and ATV and rarely stop. We were the talk of the trailhead when we hauled out our elk. The next day the traffic on that road tripled. Its the nature of general tags. Despite all that we saw plenty of elk. You just have to walk a little farther and work a little harder than most.

I was given good info about 67 this year as well. I would not hesitate to hunt 67 or the Greys River Rd area in 90. 68 and 83 werew both good, but the burn was pretty complete. Without on the ground info, I might wait one more year there. There is still plenty of land in 83 that didn't burn and lots of good land that burned a few years ago that is great now.

As far as hunting the south zones, 21 is the highest harvest zone in the state. 21 kills more elk than some zones even have in the herd. Now consider the success rate you can do the math to see how many hunters are there. I don't want to hunt in the gun season because of hunt pressure, and 21 and 13 have way more hunters than the zones I hunted in. Your choice, the elk are there.

If you narrow your choices down to something more specific, I will help out, but picking zones is up to you.

im just trying to see what folks might recommend to me.im trying to make sure I have my research done on my Nevada cal bighorn sheep tag and hunt this fall..Wyoming elk research is on my list of to do items,and I have done a lot so far.just trying to fit in the Wyoming elk and my Utah antelope and deer hunts I drew,,Im actually sending my Colorado deer tag back to Colorado even though I hate to give it up,I just cant fit it in as Nevada bighorn is my #1 priority this fall.probly never draw it again in 25 lifetimes as a non-res.

im just trying to see what folks might recommend to me.im trying to make sure I have my research done on my Nevada cal bighorn sheep tag and hunt this fall..Wyoming elk research is on my list of to do items,and I have done a lot so far.just trying to fit in the Wyoming elk and my Utah antelope and deer hunts I drew,,Im actually sending my Colorado deer tag back to Colorado even though I hate to give it up,I just cant fit it in as Nevada bighorn is my #1 priority this fall.probly never draw it again in 25 lifetimes as a non-res.

Holy smoke, you should be playing the lottery! NV Bighorn, UT antelope and Co deer?! My tag season looked just the opposite. Congrats!

Holy smoke, you should be playing the lottery! NV Bighorn, UT antelope and Co deer?! My tag season looked just the opposite. Congrats!

Thats what I'm saying. I will be hunting two leftover tags from WY and an OTC tag in ID for my hunt opportunities.

Good luck on that Bighorn tag!

having too many hunts to line up is a rare problem to have this year,,usually im struggling to just draw something decent,,,I will take luck any day of the week for a Nevada bighorn tag,,even I still cant believe that one..But im still gonna try to give everything else a decent try.It kills me to have to send back Colorado a mule deer tag back,,but I just cant fit that one in.

Saw a nice bull in 110 a couple seasons in a row.If you can find access to skirt some private land that would be a good hunt.I'd check it out myself now that I have the Wy chip

ok,ill look at that area,,looks like it opens up for rifle oct 15th,,,i was primarily looking for units I could hunt from oct 5th on for a week or 2,,i will look at the archery aspect of those units though,might be good to get the archery endorsement to open up some of my options dates.

I've had decent luck in unit 13.Most guys there are road hunters.I could put you on a decent spot about a mile back where you'd be all alone.Except for the elk
Hi Mixedbag. Could you give me any advice on Unit 13? I was thinking about putting in for it this year. I’m in TN so have never been to WY. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Chris

Hi Mixedbag. Could you give me any advice on Unit 13? I was thinking about putting in for it this year. I’m in TN so have never been to WY. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Chris
Welcome to HuntTalk BigBee. 13 is similar all the other General areas in the Snowy Range / Sierra Madres. Some chunks of wilderness area that you cannot access without a guide. Lots of pressure around trails and forest service roads.

As soon as mixedbag returns from his 4+ year absence I will be ready with my OnX to plug in the unit 13 waypoints he provides so at least you can feel confident in having some company out there!

I have six WY elk points that I’ve been intending to add to for a good limited entry unit someday. However, I would consider using them in a general area if someone is willing to share with me where I can kill a 340” or bigger bull within 3 miles of a road or trailhead. Honey hole coordinates welcomed via PM…😏

I have six WY elk points that I’ve been intending to add to for a good limited entry unit someday. However, I would consider using them in a general area if someone is willing to share with me where I can kill a 340” or bigger bull within 3 miles of a road or trailhead. Honey hole coordinates welcomed via PM…😏
3 miles!! Your insane!! Why bother even going out if you can’t drive your side by side right up to it.

i actually am lookin to draw general next year.

so don't be stingy with the info folks. copy me on all PMs.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back