MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

wyoming non-resident,general elk units???what to pick ?

dan.kirkpatrick

Ive drawn the general elk tag this year and am wondering if anybody can give me some help on decent areas to try?im looking to go oct1st-17th approx. so I need units that will be open at that time without a bunch of wilderness in them.Im primarily looking at units 67,83,85,73,86,89,91,68,81,82,84,92,94 off the top of my head.just looking for decent access to nat forest or blm lands.any tips on any of those units,or units you would recommend I will be all ears,thanks.some road access would be preferred if possible.not looking for a monster,,some units are even any elk,,of course id never turn down a 6 pointer if he wanted a ride home.also heard there was a burn last year in the unit 68 area?wondering if unit 83 also got burnt or not?

Ive drawn the general elk tag this year and am wondering if anybody can give me some help on decent areas to try?im looking to go oct1st-17th approx. so I need units that will be open at that time without a bunch of wilderness in them.Im primarily looking at units 67,83,85,73,86,89,91,68,81,82,84,92,94 off the top of my head.just looking for decent access to nat forest or blm lands.any tips on any of those units,or units you would recommend I will be all ears,thanks.some road access would be preferred if possible.not looking for a monster,,some units are even any elk,,of course id never turn down a 6 pointer if he wanted a ride home.also heard there was a burn last year in the unit 68 area?wondering if unit 83 also got burnt or not?

84: I tried this hunt last year and I didn't see any elk. A whole lot of mule deer and a couple wolves, but didn't see elk. Granted, Cliff Creek is more timbered and may have more elk than where I was at. There was a fire last year and it may be worth a trip. You just cannot go in the Gros Venture Wilderness without a guide in the unit.

92/94: A lot of people hunt this from Green River and Rock Springs. This hunt opens for rifle on October 15th. People kill elk here every year. No designated wilderness here.

thanks,,just fishing for anybody that has hunted these units before as a place to start a plan a,b,c,d options,if it doesn't pan out,i can jump around if needed.also eyeballing unit 21 baggs also

They had lots of moisture over the winter, just an issue if it was a hot burn and the sun was out enough this summer without snow cover to get regeneration going. Call the biologist at G&F or FS office and talk with a habitat person.

I think it may be a while for 68. Very little vegetation in that burn as of end of june.

I've had decent luck in unit 13.Most guys there are road hunters.I could put you on a decent spot about a mile back where you'd be all alone.Except for the elk

Hunted 21 last year and had a lot of fun. That being said, I have never seen so many hunters in my life. The forest service rd I was on was like a highway. Appeared to be lots of elk judging from the amount of shooting but if you are avoiding people, I would look elsewhere. I did t know the area real well as it was my first year elk hunting but I never got out of the crowd. I did get my first elk but there were probably 6 other people within 1/2 mile of me. The people around there sure are nice.

Numbers are up in The Snowies. Plenty of people too but elk can be found.

looks like unit 13 opens oct 15th,,i will keep it as a back up option,,but am primarily looking for the units towards the west that open up sept 26th or oct 1st as my primary options,,something with non-resident access ,{low or no wilderness} as Wyoming has that non res law for wilderness,,looking at 73,85,83,67,68,and others with that earlier hunt start date

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back