180 gr winchester power points

Jcole1993

Ok I'll start off by saying I have killed 2 elk with 180 powerpoints out of my 300 win mag, 1 bull and 1 cows. Both shots were 260 yds and shoulder shots, both were drt. I haven't used them since I've been on a hornady eldx kick for the past few years, they have been great but I recently picked up a new remington 700 in 300 win, the factory winchester are producing less than 1/2 groups at 100yds with most being around 1/4. My elds reloads are averaging about 1". What's your guys opinion on using a powerpoint out to say 500 yds on a elk?

IMO, Power Ppoints are a highly underrated bullet. I killed probably 8-10 elk with them in a 7rem mag and a number of other critters.

I have 2140lb of energy at 500 yds with the factory winchester powerpoints. When I shot them through my chrono avg fps was 3070, on the box they say 2960 but I'm assuming my 26" barrel spits them out a little faster. I also have a brake on the gun

If I had an elk rifle that printed 1/2 to 1/4 inch groups with that bullet, I'm stuffing the magazine with them. Hunters were killing elk with that bullet at 500 (and beyond I suspect) before energy and expansion even entered their minds. mtmuley

I have never shot them at an animal, but my 300wm shoots the very accurately too. Somebody gave me about half a box once. That's only time I ever shot them but do recall being surprised. I sure wasn't expecting them to shoot that well.

I'd use them, no question. I'm surprised I don't hear more guys talking them up. Pretty good bullet.

I don't think .5 MOA vs 1 MOA makes any difference at all for huntin. Sounds like folks here have had good results with the powerpoints. I have not used them, but I've heard from others that they aren't a very tough bullet (which makes sense given their simple cup and core design) and fragment easily. This is just what I've heard..I don't have any personal experience.

Either bullet will work just fine, so make a choice based on personal preferences about the bullets (I'd go with the reloads because it's more fun to take an animal with hand-loaded ammunition!). If you have the time/money, possibly look into testing some more premium/tough bullets (ie: partition, accubond, interbond, barnes, E-tip, etc.). These bullets would be more "ideal", but realistically only on odd shot angles or shoulder strikes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back