Advice on boots for elk hunting off horseback

DFloTN

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm looking for advice on boots for a horseback elk hunt. I've got Lowa Tibets for backpack hunting, but doing a trip on horseback with a few friends this fall. I'm a novice rider, but taking some lessons. So far I've only ridden in leather-soled boots so I was wondering about using heavy backpacking boots with a vibram sole in stirrups -- from both comfort and safety (e.g., getting stuck) standpoint.

Would you go with just backpacking boots and a pair of camp shoes? It doesn't seem to make sense to take a third pair of boots just for the ride in, or to change boots on hunting days. I've got non-lug sole pac boots that I'm also thinking about taking. Appreciate any advice or experience. Thanks in advance.

Basically as long as your boots have a heel you'll be fine. I have never had width be an issue, but if there is no heel on the boot your foot could easily slide through the stirrup and things go south from there.

Your stirrups could be too narrow for pack boots. Make sure that they are wide enough as riding with just your toes in the stirrups really sucks.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back