Mossberg

Don Fischer

They don't seen to get much attention but I finally broke down and got a Patriot couple month's ago. Couldn't get one here with a wood stock so I got the plastic stock and ordered a wood one from Mossberg when I got home, I like wood!

8NGnG7V.jpg

Had trouble in the beginning but it was my own fault. To cold and to windy to have been out shooting. But the weather warmed and wind let up a bit and mean to tell you, this rifle really shoot's. Best out of the box accuracy I've ever seen, best out of the box trigger I've ever seen and best out of the box bedding I've ever seen!

vMtcLpZ.jpg

I print my own target's on a printer in town and for whatever reason, the grids came out at 3/4" instead of one inch. That is with a 75gr Hornady V-Max. Using 70gr SMK in it now and it does a bit better!

This is the plastic stock I took off. Never saw in-letting like this before and didn't think I'd see the same on the wood stock.

TheZPxB.jpg

There's a magazine well that is plastic and held in place by the action bolts. Normal front bole but the back one goes in the front of the trigger guard. The magazine is also plastic but it works really well so I won't complain. In the wood stock, the barreled action went right into place. Checked for bind in the action, wasn't any! I have not done one thing for this rifle other than load up some ammo for it! In the wood stock, the barrel channel I've never seen before. Here's the inside of the wood stock. Note the plastic magazine well too.

K54AjSI.jpg

I'm not sure if they make it or not but thinking I'll look around for one in 260 for my grandson's first rifle. This rifle really caught me off guard. Only Mossberg rifle's I'd ever seen before were the old 800's, they did nothing for me!

I just got one a couple of weeks ago in .30-06 and seems like a good gun. Haven't shot it yet as I wasn't planning on buying one but got one hell of a deal on it. I like how the wood looks so I might do as you did and get that stock.

Looks like you have yourself a sweet little set up there. I trusted my life to a Mossberg 500 in Iraq, so I would recommend a Mossberg to anyone.

My Mossberg 500 has ended a ton of ducks and geese. Damn thing works with mud in it. As I'm sure Cush knows. mtmuley

Beautiful.......I enjoy my 308 youth version......super light/short......being in Cali I utilize Hornady 165 GMX factory with near 1 moa. Share with us what you have hunted with the 243....and thanks for sharing.

I don't know much about the patriot but I know a guy that was having all sorts of trouble with a Mossberg 4x4 recently. I actually like the wood on that stock it looks fairly nice. I have an old Mossberg 22 target rifle that my grandmother gave me years ago. Kuddos to you for taking the plunge on a Mossberg rifle, I know it wouldn't be on my list(just my own opinion) I had an old beat up 835 shotgun once that I wish I hadn't sold, killed many ducks and geese with it but the barrel porting was sooo loud.

I also picked up a Mossberg Patriot over the weekend. They had all their firearms 25% off at Gander Mountain's going out of business sale. Got a wood stock .243 for $329+tax. Also snagged some Leupold rings and a one-piece base for about $25 combined. Looking for a scope for it now. I'm anxious to shoot it. I think it will be a great deer rifle for when my kids start hunting with me.

I grabbed one last year for a beater gun in 308 for the price it is a great little budget rifle and pretty light weight. Mine shoots moa.

Yea I got a 243, got two now! First time I've ever had two rifle's in the same cartridge at the same time. $329 with a wood stock is a great price! mine was $299 in the plastic stock and the wood stock was about $140 . My other 243 is a 700ADL, gift from a girl friend years ago, almost broke up over that deal, plastic stock, come on! Anyway it took so much work to get that thing shooting I ended up keeping it and looking for a wood stock. Finely got one both those shoot great, IMO.

I've never owned a rifle from Mossberg but every shotgun I've had from them is superb. Many turkey, squirrel, rabbit, grouse, quail, a few coyotes and a few deer in slug gun season have fallen to my Mossberg 9200 12 gauge. I have a 500 in 20 gauge waiting for my son when he gets old enough to start hunting.

I've never owned a rifle from Mossberg but every shotgun I've had from them is superb. Many turkey, squirrel, rabbit, grouse, quail, a few coyotes and a few deer in slug gun season have fallen to my Mossberg 9200 12 gauge. I have a 500 in 20 gauge waiting for my son when he gets old enough to start hunting.
I have a 9200 slug gun. Not too many of them out there. I need to track down a second buttstock and regular shot gun barrel for it so it gets used more.

Yea I got a 243, got two now! First time I've ever had two rifle's in the same cartridge at the same time. $329 with a wood stock is a great price! mine was $299 in the plastic stock and the wood stock was about $140 . My other 243 is a 700ADL, gift from a girl friend years ago, almost broke up over that deal, plastic stock, come on! Anyway it took so much work to get that thing shooting I ended up keeping it and looking for a wood stock. Finely got one both those shoot great, IMO.

Be tough to beat that price point per feature ratio...especially with your target pics. Shooting an accurate .243 is much fun.

Don Fischer, Thank you for this post. I have been thinking about the Patriot for about a year now. I was going to get one in 7mm-08 but then I fell in love with the 260 Remington. As far as I can tell they don't make the Patriot in 260 so I ended up getting a Savage 11 chambered in 260.
I'm still very interested in the Patriot, so I still might go get one in 7mm-08. It looks like you have had a good experience with yours so far. It just seems to have a lot of features for about $350. I like that.

I’m going into my 4th hunting season with my Patriot and the only complaints I have are not getting enough time to shoot it. Great rifle for the price. Highly recommend getting the “Revere” version with the wood stock, or order and aftermarket stock.

I have not shot these rifles, but I have had shotguns for years. I have a model 500, pump 20, an 835, 12-gauge and a 35 12-gauge. After years of shooting, I had some issues that actually had been with the gun from the start, but started to get worse. The action was dragging and kept getting worse. I sent it to their warranty service in Eagle Pass, Texas. The shotgun was returned within 10 days and they totally replaced the action to the shotgun. Better now than when it was new. I like Mossberg.

Back